EFS (NTFS Encryption)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by donchanger, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donchanger

donchanger Registered Member

When I try to restore individual files from a TI Image (Ver 9, Build 2323), it works OK - but not if the original files were in a folder encrypted with NTFS (right-click, properties, advanced, encrypt contents).

For now, the files are being restored from, and restored to, the original computer. In other words, I created an image onto a local hard drive, then ran the Recovery Wizard on the same machine, using the same logon credentials. I am using the Recovery Wizard because TI won't let me "Plug" the image.

Other imaging products have not had this problem. Is there some way around this?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello donchanger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I've forwarded this information to our Testing Team and will inform you about the results of their investigation as soon as I'll receive a reply.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Acronis Support

Hello donchanger,

I've just received a reply from our Testing Team and they assured me that this issue is known and will certainly be fixed in the future builds of Acronis True Image 9.0. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. donchanger

donchanger Registered Member

I have an important question about this issue...

Does the fact that I cannot restore individual files or folders that have been encrypted by EFS using the Recovery Wizard also mean that encrypted files cannot be restored even if restoring the entire partition? I don't feel like overwriting my critical files with potentially 0-byte files to test, yet I have no way of knowing whether my backups are any good.

If so, this is a huge problem and that should be very easily addressed with a warning *before* creating the image.

5. Acronis Support

Hello donchanger,

Please be aware that this issue appears only when restoring NTFS encrypted files and folders by choosing the respective option in Recovery wizard. You can restore the entire disk\partition without a problem (all files will be restored correctly). Moreover, you can restore NTFS encrypted files and folders from a disk\partition image using Plug Image tool without having any problems as well. You can find more information on how to use Plug Image tool in Chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.