Efficacy of different setups at containing a userspace attack on Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gullible Jones, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

No, SD is not sufficient by itself (but for that matter, what is?). All ISR/LV apps are vulnerable to infection without malware protection. Their only 'claim to fame' is their potential ability to restore a clean system upon rebooting; that's the only way to test their mettle.

Regards,
    TS

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Ah, I see what you're getting at.

Currently I'm working with another ISR program, Faronics Deep Freeze; and so far I've been unable to do anything to the driver. ATM I'm researching how to build an injected payload to unhook it, so I can turn the thing off and write to the disk.

I do have to admit a grudging respect for this kind of software. :) I don't think it's well suited for home/desktop use, but it's highly effective within its own narrow domain.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hang in there Gj

Your efforts are welcome discoveries indeed.

EASTER

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I would like to see how Kaspersky behaves in this test...

5. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

May try it. It has a HIPS component, right? If that's any good, it should do pretty well.

But keep in mind that I've been hitting a brick wall with kernel stuff. Messing around in userspace is easy (especially on Windows); in kernel space it's a whole other story. To access functions that are not part of the public API, you need your own driver, and writing one is currently beyond my skills. So again, results in these tests are probably better than what you'd get from a real attack.

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks GJ.

About the HIPS i really don't know, i have installed it numerous times, but i never took the time to mess with configurations :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.