effects of kis on system...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

You're totally out of luck.. The only thing you can do is either live with it or...

format your hard drive and totally reinstall windows and all your programs, except of course, Kaspersky LOL..

Get Acronis or Ghost, and remember in the future....

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Straight Shooter,

This is factually incorrect. A user can remove them at any time following a KAV/KIS uninstall using the fsutil application.

Blue

3. TJP

TJP Registered Member

Exactly.

With so much FUD posted on security forums about Kaspersky & objectID's, I really do wish Kaspersky Labs would take charge of the situation by either offering an automated objectID removal tool or providing a removal guide showing the fsutil option for those concerned or affected by objectD's.

Cheers.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

kaspersky the demon? o_O

wow i've learnt a lot from your post.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Damn
    I'm using Kaspersky. And I'm using it for a long time now. Am I doomed?

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No. The Object IDs do not alter your hard disk or file system in any way. If chkdsk still is able to complete successfully then you don't have a cause for concern :)

7. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Hi! Would it be safe to run the fsutil app on system files, too, say the complete c: drive including windows folders? Not that I need to, just out of curiosity. :)

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, consider what file object identifiers are used for - they are an OS based secondary unique identifier for a file (instead of a filename with full path) to be used by the Distributed Link Tracking Service to maintain file links across multiple machines. For example - your machine is on a large domain and you use databases that are spread across a number of servers - the distributed link tracking service will keep track of where all that network based content is maintained.

These entities are really irrelevant on a standalone workstation, so yes, feel free to blow all of them away if you have a standalone workstation. If the machine is a member of a domain, there may be issues, but it's really only in the context just mentioned - you may have to manually locate specific content and/or applications, bringing a system up should be fine.

Blue

9. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Neat! Thanks!

10. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I get the impression that Straight Shooter is a "little anti-Kaspersky" and no matter what they used to improve the performance of their products,he would find some reason to dislike it,does every piece of software fully explain everything they install on your system,I think not!

11. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

I used KIS 6 and really didn't have issues, but, for some reason I got some serious slowdowns with KIS7. My browsing and other things about my machine(Vista) just got bogged down, so I left KIS.

Anyway, yes, some people seem to have system issues with KIS, while others don't, so keep that in mind when trying it.

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okai im gonna do this tonight but i want to make a backup or image in case anything goes wrong, what is the best to use from you recc for making a backup?

also i had to call microsoft to get my vista activated on this machine.. will i need to do this again after restoring the backup or will it already be activated?? thanks in advance

13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you make a complete image of your system partition you shouldn't need to re-activate windows when you restore it, unless you've significantly changed your hardware.

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

great thanks now what to use to back it up??

15. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

Don't they inform you that KIS uses iSteams and iSwift technology? I would think this discounts your acusations against Kaspersky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.