Edit changes??

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Since when did edit get stuck in the thread unless you click advanced? That is so weird. I didn't even see the advanced button until I after I edited and was looking around to see how to post since I was editing in the thread not on the edit page. I don't like the new way as it is limited and too disconcerting so I was glad to discover the advanced button took me to the old, regular way of editing a post.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It was mentioned somewhat by LWM in the vBulletin 3.5 upgrade installed announcement thread.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I remember reading LWM's post. Guess I forgot that part. But that was some time ago. I think I have edited posts here since the vBulletin upgrade...yet I never encountered the "in thread" editing until now...which seems odd.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

One thought I have has to do with IE in regards to Active script. If that is disabled the edit feature resorts to the old way....lack of a better description.

Of course with active script disabled there should be evidence of other quirks :doubt:

Is it possibly another case of a proxo filter causing this :doubt:

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It could well be something like that, if not in Mele's case, then certainly for others. The editing module is an embedded script downloaded in the webpage when viewing a thread. Anything filtering either the downloaded javascript or interfering with the scripts ability to capture the click on the 'edit' post button, would result in the old style editing window being used instead of the inline editor.

The idea behind inline editing is that for a quick text edits it is much faster. The inline editing doesn't require a new connection to the webserver to call up a dedicated edit page (editpost.php), only a short connection to commit the change when you hit save. If you have a slow connection, editing a post within the thread viewing frame is far faster then linking to a new edit page. Old style editing requires the download of the editpost page, the filling in of all the buttons and icons for that page, then you make perhaps only a one or two word change, hit save, and then have to wait for the showthread page to reload again.

The new versions of both vBulletin and IPB have this type of capability now.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I bet Proxo is blocking it. I may have had Proxo bypassed when I got the inline edit here. I did have Proxo bypassed last night because I was trying to run the AV scanner from Microsoft's safety.live.com and I had to bypass Proxo (still never got the scanner to run). I may have forgotten to uncheck bypass on Proxo for awhile after I gave up on the MS AV scanner.

I can see the benefits readily now for dial up users. It was more disconcerting than that I disliked it. It would be ok for, as you pointed out, simple edits to fix a misspelled word or left out word, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.