Echo converting Backup TIB to Virtual Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mangor, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mangor

Mangor Registered Member

I'm a long-time user of Acronis, and I love it for the most part.
    I'm currently converting a couple of servers to VMWare Server.
    The original server has 4 physical Dynamic HDs, 2 sets of software-mirrored volumes.
    So HD 0 and HD 1 are mirrored to create a C: drive and HD 2 and HD 3 are mirrored to create a D: drive.
    I created a full backup and converted it to a virtual disk. Unfortunately, 4 vmdk files were created. I assume 1 for each physical HD. The first 2 were almost identical in filesize as were the last 2.
    I then created a new Virtual Machine with 2 blank HDs and replaced the 2 blank vmdk files with the first and third converted vmdk files.
    The VM does not boot, but I booted the Acronis CD and was able to see the C and D drive were both correct and available.
    I then restored the MBR/Track 0 to the first disk on the VM. No change - I still can't boot the VM.
    I'm now assuming the C drive/volume/partition/disk on the VM is not set to "Active". How can I check this and/or correct this?
    Is my methodology correct? I couldn't find much documentation on this feature as to how to incorporate the vmdk files - especially when Dynamic disks are involved.
    Thanks in advance!

Original Server: Intel Sitka 4x P3 Xeon Server, 2GB RAM using 4x 36GB Seagate SCA HDs running Windows 2000 Server, SP4.

2. Mangor

Mangor Registered Member

More Info:

Upon booting the VM using the Acronis CD, I tried to restore the Acronis backup of the original server to the VM and received the following warning message:
    "You are about to restore partition containing OS files to existing not active dynamic volume. We are not supporting activation of dynamic volumes yet. System will be unbootable. Are you sure you want to do this?"

This confirms that the vmdk file Acronis created did not contain an active volume.

Is there any way to make the volume active, after the fact?

Screen capture of error message.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mangor,

Thank you for using Acronis Server Backup software.

Undoubtedly described issue is to be escalated to our Experts Team and should be investigated by them. So please submit a request for technical support with the detailed issue description, attached screen shots and the information about your version and build number. This would let our Experts investigate the issue thoroughly. Please be sure we will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.