EAZ-fix/Rollback RX and disk imaging

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wilbertnl, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Good question; at this point I am quite confused... Is it possible that Eric Sun is an independent support person contracting with both EAZ and RB, and that the two companies share their source-code but do their own final development? :doubt:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. pvsurfer

That would be great as it would eliminate any differences between our two systems that could account for our different results.

When you conduct the test this time, see if you get a different result by not 'standardizing' your MBR prior to restoring your .tib image.

pv

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The comparitive test results are in, guys.

This is what I did.
    I did NOT uninstall eazFix, but restored from an image that was created prior to installing eazFix. It was basically the baseline without the snapshot software. I did that to make sure that no trace was there when I started the Rollback RX test.

Then I rebuilt the same snapshot structure, like I used for the eazFix test and conducted step by step the same test.
    After restoring the image and verifying the snapshots, I can confirm that all snapshots restored in good health.
    Again, I want to emphasize that I created the image after booting from the rescue CD.

Then I created an image with Acronis running in Windows...
    Well, THAT is a whole different story! Rollback RX presents itself as uninstalled.

So, make sure that you image after booting from the Acronis Rescue CD.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the testing. That is real good news.
    BTW, I wonder why pvsurfer results are different.
    BTW, in the past I tried imaging RollBackRx snapshots with IFW, IFD and Boot CD of BING and in all cases I just got base-line RollBackRx snapshot without even RollbackRx itself.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@ Wilbertnl

BTW, is there a way to get EAZ Clone other than the one posted by u before( intellatronix) as I don,t want to use credit card stuff etc and don,t have it infact.

6. wilbertnl

From your post I understand that you already downloaded the latest version?

7. pvsurfer

After reading wilbertni's results, all I can say is I'm flabergasted... Every time I created my ATI backup by using (booting) the ATI Recovery CD, I wound up with only my baseline snapshot being restored. As a matter of fact, when I first experienced this in July, I sent an email to HDS regarding that situation and here is the reply I received back...
    Having Andrew Shen confirm my findings shortly after I reported them to HDS (in July) and then reading wilbertni's test results, is to say the very least, very confusing. o_O

Something is going on that has to account for the contradictory results obtained by wilbertni and me, but what? While I would much prefer his results, unfortunately that's not what I get! :doubt:

8. wilbertnl

We will call you flabbergasto from now on. :)

There is one thing that I don't understand in the email from HDS support: they argue that snapshots are encrypted and therefor inaccessible.
    Imaging software is not trying to access or explore data, it just archives sectors that are marked as used, or any sector for that matter.
    To me that email is qualified nonsense. :thumbd:
    The well functioning DOS application eazClone (certified to support eazFix snapshots) is proof of that.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe you made mistakes in the selection during the restore wizard.
    You have to select the partition and the MBR.

10. pvsurfer

As the saying goes, "if you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger"!

I accepted Andrew Shen's reply, without scrutinizing his explanation because he is (was) their Director of Tech Support, or something like that. Besides, he was confirming my results as being correct (albeit less than satisfactory).

11. pvsurfer

Erik, at the time I first had the shock of seeing my month-old baseline had been restored, I tried restoring the image every possible way, only to wind up with the same result.

Besides which, aigle also experience what I am saying, although he was using IFD/IFW/BING and not ATI as I use (exclusively).

12. wilbertnl

When I listen to tech support, I always try to understand what they are saying. And until I do understand, I continue asking questions.

13. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Can any of the mentioned softwares read/write images on local, Linux powered, Samba server or local FTP server?

I need something that will let me create image of PC before I start repair and would like to store images on local server.

o_Oo_Oo_O

14. houaus

houaus Registered Member

Aigle, you can get EAZ clone w/out credit card from there. This is basically the method, my memory is a little unclear. Fill out the street address info etc, (doesn't have to be legit info), but make sure to give valid email address. Then on payment method choose the option other than credit card. You should get two emails, one immediately, w/ everything you need. Hope that helps.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be you should repeat ur tests at some time again.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Infact I downloaded ayGhost. And it was mentioned as a demo version on that pageo_O So don,t know how I can use it permanantly without violating EULA etc.
    So ayGhost and ezClone are exactly same? sorry to ask you again as I am still a bit confused if they are exactly same why they put two names for same software( HDS Clone is of course HDS version of it).
    BTW, as I told before, I failed with ayGhost, though i will try few weeks later again when I get some time. May be some problem with the partition work on my test PC at this time.

I did like that with rather legitimate info and the I received two mails, and they asked me to call a phone no. and tell ur credit card no. over it to procedd further.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did this with rather almost legit info and I received a mail with a phone no. to call over it with my credit card no. to process it further and I stopped there.

18. pvsurfer

When have you last had a conversation like that with anyone from HDS o_O
    I'm sure you remember my thread... Anyone heard from HDS - re Rollback?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139120

I would do that given the opportunity, but as it was, getting that email reply from Andrew was almost a miracle in itself. Not a good situation for sure and certainly not the kind of customer-support I have come to expect (gosh, if I could only go back in time!), but I already had an investment in 2 RB licenses, so that's why I started that thread.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have to agree with you here. During my last conversation with Andrew he assured me that when they thought they had the problems solved he would personally call me, so I could test it. Since he never called should I assume the problem has never been fixed. True you could argue it's unreasonable to expect him to call me, but I didn't ask, he promised. I also purchased to licenses, and am reluctant to fool with Eaz-Fix, as even if it did work I would have to again purchase licenses.

20. wilbertnl

I was speaking in general. When I use software I want to understand how it works. When I talk to support I make sure that they understand the issue and I understand there response. The explanation from HDS sounds reasonable, aspecially when you lost a month worth of snapshots, but it doesn't make sense.

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

One of the amazing things about Rollback is that it makes images so quickly, & uses so little HD space. This fact was commented upon several times in threads discussing RB a while back. PERHAPS the structure of the snapshots is somehow the *secret* of RB's speed/mini-size, & they are using encryption to protect this secret. Hmmmmo_O

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Users,

I have successfully used HDS Clone version 2 boot CD.
    Imaged my C partition NTFS that is protected by RollbackRx and was having 3 snapshots plus current system. I made an image in partition D that was specialy formatted in FAT 32 for this purpose. After that I uninstalled RolbackRx with my base line snapshot to persist.
    Restored image, and got RollBackRx console with all images and current snapshot at the time of imaging. I am able to boot in the snapshots, they are not corupt at all, no error mesages during all this procedure, every thing is fine. I rebooted in all snapshots one by one, did this on a test laptop with XP home.

C drive data size with RollbackRx 3.6 GB
    Image time 7 min
    image verification time 3 min
    Image restore time 5 min
    Image size about 2.3 GB(althoug image size is 2.3 GB but I noticed u need a space almost equal to or a little less than C drive data size, 3.6 GB in my case, otherwise imging will not start. It is minor bug in any case.
    HDS clone is very easy to use infact and is free.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  23. wilbertnl

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

24. pvsurfer

Yeah, but last time I tried it (in June) it wouldn't support my SATA drive (or external drives)... Has that been fixed?

25. wilbertnl

I don't have experience with SATA myself (owner of a low-budget computer here :)), but I understand that if SATA is initialized by your BIOS (SATA on motherboard) there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, maybe you have a DOS SATA driver for your add-in card?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.