EAZ-fix/Rollback RX and disk imaging

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wilbertnl, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Hello Peter,

Ahh, I understand now, it's because you prefer other software:)

Reading back on the forum I notice that you've had problems getting RollBack Rx to work.

John.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

That's not what I've reported... When using ATI with RB installed, the RB snapshot that is captured depends on the method used to create the image, and not the method of restoring it.

As I've reported several times over, if the image is created by running ATI in Windows, RB's current snapshot is captured. If the image is created by running ATI in Linux (using the recovery CD), RB's baseline snapshot is captured.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Suppose I have 5 snapshots, baseline included, in RB and I do a backup with ATI.
    How many snapshots are included in the backup file (.tib) ? Only one or all 5 ?

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Just one -- current or baseline. ;)

5. ErikAlbert

Good grief! If I create 10 snapshots, I backup and restore 2 days later.
    Only ONE snapshot will be restored and all my work of 9 other snapshots will be gone.
    Is this called an advantage or disadvantage ?

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I guess that could be called an disadvantage - When using ATI. But I guess thats why they made EAZ-Clone ;)

But the big disadvantage, beside the fact that EAZ/Rollback Rx doesnt work well with other imaging software, is that EAZ-Clone needs FAT32 (If I understand wilbertln´s original post right) I hope it can be fixed soon coz I have reinstalled Rollback Rx again, to see if the new version will work better than the previous, and all the good memories comes back to me :)

7. ErikAlbert

I consider this as an unacceptable disadvantage. I don't have that problem with FDISR + ATI. All my snapshots are included in the backup file and restored properly by ATI.
    I have a minimum of 3 snapshots : an off-line snapshot, an on-line rollback (healthy) snapshot and an on-line snapshot for daily work and it's possible that I need more of them in the future. I don't want to lose any of these snapshots.
    I did recently a backup with 10 snapshots (maximum) and ATI restored them all.
    So the combination ATI + RB does NOT work properly. Image backup means EVERYTHING. Period.

Now I understand why pvsurfer was always talking about current or baseline snapshot.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When it worked it worked fine. Earlier version's weren't reliable. By PVsurfer's testing they seemed to have fixed that. I haven't retested for two reasons's. My new desktop has raid 0 and they don't support that. Also the imaging issues are just a mess. I only use two FDISR snapshots for the most part, but when I image, I want everything without jumping thru hoops. I image to both an internal 2nd drive, and USB external drive, and they both are NTFS.

Key point, is imaging should put the disk back they way it was, and it should do it without difficulty. What I am reading doesn't show that has gotten significantly better than when I tested.

Pete

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I know about regular disk imaging software, TrueImage included, that want a separate hidden partition for their images. I have never thought of that as weird. So why would I object to create a small FAT32 partition in order to support eazClone?
    Now my system has a 4 GB FAT32 partition (total disk capacity is 280 GB) at the end of the second internal harddisk, and I use that partition for the Windows pagefile and for eazClone images.

It's your choice to make it a big deal. :isay:

EazClone does that. Period.

10. Peter2150

Hi Wilbertnl

I know it's easy to fall in love with this Ef/RB, I sure did at first, but how can you say EazClone does that. Look at what you had to tell John to do because of his two DVD drives. I have two DVD drives, and both internal and external NTFS drives, and have no desire to partition them, nor should I have to. Although some people choose ATI's secure zone, personally, I think thats a bad choice. Both ATI and IFD/IFW can handle any and all those configurations. Why should I have to disable a DVD, and create a FAT partition. Sorry, but EazClone is really not a great imaging solution.

I know they are working on the issue, but I don't think they are there yet.

Pete

11. wilbertnl

John disconnected one of his DVD's for testing purpose, only to verify that eazClone was compatible with SATA. Only for reasons of trouble shooting and not on a permanent base. As he stated.
    John was able to create a permanent situation where he doesn't have to change his system and actually don't need the EazClone CD anymore.

Peter, it's okay if you disagree with the people who don't have problems with eaxFix/eazClone.
    But you already made your point many, many times, did you not? You don't hear me saying anything bad about Firstdefense-ISR, do you?
    What motivates you to degrade and devalue anything that is not endorsed by you?

12. Peter2150

Only motivation is making sure people have their eyes open. Don't get me wrong, in many ways I wish the issues weren't there as I really liked Rollback. I would really love it to do what I had hoped.

People just should be aware, that it is a kernel driver implementation, and that opens the door for issues. For many that won't matter, which can make Rollback a better solution than FDISR. If you aren't doing much beta testing with Kernel mode stuff, I suspect that would be the case.

Pete

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally agree with u.
    And don,t forget the imaging issue too.

14. wilbertnl

Peter,

As I said before, you have made your point, if people make a choice that you don't agree with, it's their ownership and not yours.
    What I try to say is this: You are right.
    This is a forum with a supportive purpose. So thank you for your supportive contributions. :thumb:

15. Peter2150

Likewise thanks for your many excellent posts.

16. Lander

Lander Registered Member

In fact, they are the same thing but different name. EAZCLONE will not exist any more, but AYGhost exists;)

17. incursari

incursari Registered Member

I decided to give another one more test regarding RB and imaging program. This time I use Paragon Drive Backup. This time the result is very interesting, Paragon was able to restore the partition image without corrupting ALL RB snapshots. From what I see, Paragon was capable taking the partition image with RB snapshot in it.
    My disk info: “C: \” partition 30gb, used space 4.5gb.
    I create 3 snapshots with RB,
    1. Baseline snapshot
    2. Snapshot 1 (install Spyware Terminator)
    3. Snapshot 2 (install AVG antivirus)

I perform the backup with the option “Copy all sectors 1:1”
    It takes 25 mins to backup my “C:\” partitions and the backup image size is 3.9gb. Backup was done inside windows. The restoration takes 25 mins too.
    After the restoration of the backup image, I restore all the above RB snapshot and all successful without any error.

Paragon Drive Backup with RB Rx = work

From Paragon help file,

18. Lander

Lander Registered Member

Wait,They said*puppy*

19. wilbertnl

Sector-by-sector imaging is the key for successful images with eazFix/Rollback RX.
    To whom it concerns: don't blame it on eazSolutions that Acronis doesn't support this feature.

20. sukarof

Interresting. I guess then it wouldnt matter if you have 3, 20 or 1000 snapshots. If I continue to use Rollback Rx I definitively will look at Paragon. (ie if the problems I had earlier is fixed in this latest version) Thanks for the info.

21. Peter2150

I didn't say a word.:D

Actually Image for Windows also has a "raw" option which backs up all sectors instead of files. Draw back is that is does all sectors of the partition.
    But that should also work with Rollback.

22. sukarof

LOL, I didnt know that RAW actually meant raw, every bit like Paragon :/ DOH!
    So then there really is no problem getting all the snapshots into one image with IFD/IFW?
    I actually thought that that someone had tested to image a Rollback Rx installation in RAW mode already :eek: because what I´ve seen in the threads this far all I hear is that IFW/IFD could not take a image of all the snapshots (like Paragon)
    I will do a RAW image imidiately :)

23. Peter2150

Be curious to see what your results are. I've never used it, and the idea of imaging 500gb of sectors doesn't really thrill me. Also I don't think the MBR will be a problem, although it could be if you had to replace your drive. Terabyte does make an imagall utility to include the mbr, but I've never used it.

Pete

24. wilbertnl

There is a new eazClone/ayGhost released. Dated August 25, 2006.
    This release offers the performance improvement that I suggested to the developers.

http://www.k62.net/Products_CLONE.php#

Would be interesting to see how the performance compares to Paragon and Image for Dos (RAW).

25. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Does Ayghost work on a NTFS system? Does it work with an external hard disk and USB 2 port?

What is the difference between AYghost and HDS clone? What are the improvement of AYGhost over HDS Clone?

If I remember correctly, HDS clone, a long time ago, didn't work on my system because of the USB port and, I think because my system was in NTFS and not FAT 32...

Thanks,
    Atomas31

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.