EAZ-FIX and Rollback Rx vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Selukwe, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

:D :D :thumb: :thumb:

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Peter,

I have already informed you that I have tested v8.1. As a result of those tests, I have uninstalled it and I am out over $170 for three licenses. I have already wasted too much time and money on testing this software and, now, bantering with you. I am now happily using Raxco's First Defense-ISR and StorageCraft's ShadowProtect.

How do you know that my posts were not helpful to anyone? Are you the Forum God? Your scolding of me is not helpful to anyone either, therefore, I am dropping the subject and will not reply to your baiting or scolding anymore. I will continue to post as I see fit within the Forum rules, and if you don't like it....... lump it!

Happy New Year,

Silver

3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I did use the Trial period....dude. It did not crash during that time.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I forget you had said you had tested 8.1, my apologies.

You are free to post, but if you really want to be helpful, tell people what you were doing, give detail, etc. Put just saying don't install it, really isn't all that useful

5. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Not wishing to disrupt the seasonal warmth of this thread but, you have again stated that you are out of pocket for RB licences. However, on the HDS forum on the 8th September 2007, Nick from HDS said:

The following day you wrote in part of your response:

If HDS failed to reimburse you then it should be made known that they are not to be trusted to honour their promises. If, however, you chose not to take them up on the offer then your loss is obviously not of their doing.

Could you clarify what actually took place for the benefit of anyone who might buy the software and have concerns as to the credibility of HDS and how they might support them should they run into trouble?

Graham

(Apologies in advance for the OT post but it does sort of relate to the thread title. All baiting and scolding dutifully accepted ;) . )

Oh....and a Happy New Year to all :) .

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Anyway.. Whatever :rolleyes: today I wanted to try something but needed to uninstall ESS before I did, but it wouldnt uninstall (another story in another post.. find it if you wish :p ) so in the end i rolled back to a previous snapshot, and installed what I wanted to try, inadvertantly forgetting I had no AV installed on the earlier snap, and Some creepy crawlies infested my PC :eek: Not only that, the program I wanted to try I didnt like anyway, so quick as a FLASHH!!!! well 30 seconds anyway :p I again rolled back to the previous, and deleted the snapshot containing the creepy crawlies :ninja: And now back as good as New *puppy*

7. Selukwe

Selukwe Registered Member

Peter, could you pls elaborate what particular features you have in mind? My EF works smoothly so far and even though I tried FD-ISR on another machine I didn't find it as flexible as EF/RB. But perhaps it's a question of reliability, or am I missing something somewhere?

8. Peter2150

The issue for me is imaging. I need to be able to take an image of my system whenever, if I chose frequently. Rollback just isn't conducive to that. If I just take an image of my desktop, I don't get everything back. I have to image from the CD, after collapsing the Rollback snapshot into the baseline. Obviously this lets out running Shadowprotects continous incrementals.

One of the solutions is image all sectors. Not a suitable solution. The other is their Linux recovery CD. I can't use those, they've never worked right on my machines. I need the windows recovery environment. Also I vaguely remember something about having to reinstall because of the mbr.

So for me, the flexiblity that comes with Rollback is outweighed by the image problems.

That is a design/feature issue, not reliablity.

Pete

9. Selukwe

Selukwe Registered Member

I'm a long time ATI user and still prefer it to EF's built-in imaging feature. And I can successfully image all my current system from within Windows and next restore it in full with a bootable CD without any problems, including the MBR. But I never felt any drawback arising from the way I do it short of being able to image all EF/RB's snapshots, which I do not need. So I do not fully understand the advantage of preferring FD-ISR. Maybe it's because my system has no problem with ATI's Linux recovery CD...

10. Peter2150

They key is if it works for you and you are happy with it, thats all that matters.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, after turning up my nose at RollbackRx due to it's ruining my normal data, i actually have not experienced any problems (yet) with EAZ-FIX, although my understanding is it's a Rollback Clone of sorts.

At any rate, i've done quite some jockying around of settings/files/programs at EAZ-FIX, and it's gave me no indications at all of even the slightest of problems. Only one, and that was my own routine of running RESTORATION that EAZ-FIX let fill up the entire drive. I quickly deleted that snapshot and reverted to baseline, starting over again, and so far everything is just peachy.

I do have a question, the .ebi EAZ-FIX snapshot backup image. Is this image safe to burn to DVD and then restore? Plus are they explorable at all?

If it continues to run flawlessly as it's done now for a few weeks, i'll be satisfied that at least this one is reliable/safe enough to keep.

The snapshots are incredibly quick to take, even explorable, moveable and so forth.

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

EASTER, sorry I can't answer the question you post but if you don't receive an answer try their support.
    Has been outstanding. Have received answers in an hour or less and replies to their answers with questions even faster.
    Been using EAZ-FIX myself for several months and has been flawless and their prices are more reasonable then their competitors.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi danny9, thanks for your remarks.

I was impressed with RollbackRx when i first tried it untill it went beserk and cancelled everything that took days to build up, that was the end of that, plus it had REAL issues not just one user like myself.

On the otherhand, i find EAZ-FIX worlds apart from it even though it's supposed to be built on the same framework/features, but i can say with some degree of confidence now that EAZ-FIX is performed flawless here too.

I've taken it to task without trying to deliberately cripple it, and it's holding it's own great, and is give me renewed confidence in this BASELINE type ISR.

I demand programs of this nature to afford users the freedom to not just recover automatically but open up ALL PROGRAMS/FILES from the snapshots for total access, and this one delivers just that.

I'll mosey on over there and pick up some tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.