EAZ-FIX and Rollback Rx vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Selukwe, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Version 7 crashes just like the later version 8 and 8.1.

2. silver0066

Very well said.

3. Selukwe

Selukwe Registered Member

Crashes with what consequences? Loss of all data on protected volumes and subsequent format of unbootable system? How about a non protected volume on the same HDD? Is (can) it also be affected? Any specific situation causing the crashes?

4. fce

fce Registered Member

are you one of the frustrated user of RollbackRX? :D

to Selukwe, try RollbackRX8.1 don't believe with frustrated minority who can't refund their money from HDS :p

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, this silver0066 guy is infamously notorious for his RB Rx bad-mouthing and has been reprimanded by HDS on the site forum. He simply cannot let go and move on....tragic

6. appster

appster Registered Member

Build 2691424265

I've had no chkdsk problems whatsoever with this build (and it's been a year since I started using it)! ...I did have chkdsk issues with an earlier v7.x build.

I can only assume EZ uses the same build #'s as RB, as they are identical programs (other than the name).

I have experienced several power outages with RB active, but not during its installation/uninstallation or while it was defragging snapshots. If that were to happen, I would not be at all surprised if that corrupted the system (but I would be very surprised if those circumstances would not corrupt a system with any other instant-restore sofware). That's why it's so important to backup your system (regularly) with a good disk-imaging program!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  7. silver0066

Same old chkdsk problem that it has had for years.

No special circumstances, no defragging with 3rd party software. Loss of all partitions on boot disk. Without an imaging program, it will require a complete clean install of Windows.

8. Empath

Empath Registered Member

I would imagine a system that for one reason or another didn't work well with Rollback-RX, would be a disaster, considering the depth to which it digs into the system. I would suppose that FDISR too, could prove as disasterous. There are those of us though, that haven't seen such a disaster from a glitched-system, from either product. That includes myself.

What does seem disastrous otherwise is watching such extensive self-destruction of credibility from one who's enjoyment of "playing" with such a varied scenario of apps could be a huge asset. And, why such self-destruction? Because of emotional reaction to a perceived corporate action regarding a favored product.

Rollback 8.1 is from all I can tell, after running it for quite some time now, a valuable and reliable disaster recovery and restoration utility. I like it enough, that the frequent, and seemingly constant in-your-face bashing of the product by a couple gets a little irritating.

9. Selukwe

Loss of all partitions or only those protected by EF/RB? Would this affect also a partition on the same HDD which has not been set to be protected by EF/RB during its setup?

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Selukwe

I had issues with earlier versions of Rollback, but as far as I could see 8.1 was quite stable. I only had one chkdsk issue, and that was in conjunction with FDISR which HDS doesn't advise doing. When testing 8.1 on it's own, I deliberatly tried breaking it and couldn't. Silver can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he's tested 8.1

I would recommend imaging your system, then putting 8.1 on and try it. Test it, try and break it, and see what happens on your box. Just besure you can restore from the image first.

Pete

11. silver0066

All partitions.

12. silver0066

My statements are not emotional. They are provided to help others as I have been helped by others. I have used First Defense for years with NO problems. I used Rollback and intermittently had crashes many times on several computers. Maybe it happened because I used it in conjunction with First Defense. I have never heard that they should not be used together. Anyway, if you want to make something negative about my statements and put me down, have at it.

The fact remains that it intermittently crashed my computers and I have removed it from my systems, even though I paid for 3 licenses and am out the money.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Silver,
    I'm not a fan of RBRx either, because of its long history of failures. Wilders has spend more than 600 posts on these failures, but RBRx has been improved and the latest version seems to work better than ever before, although the latest version has still a freeze problem according member "Chris".

The fact that you combined FDISR and RBRx against the advice of HDS might have been a part of failures of RBRx and maybe you didn't use the latest version of RBRx either.
    I keep my FDISR anyway and if nothing happens during the next 5-10 years, I will have to give up on FDISR and if there is no better alternative than RBRx, I will have to use RBRx, because the other ISR-softwares have less possibilities.

14. Selukwe

Thanks, Pete. That's encouraging. I'm testing EF v8.1 with a duly made image with ATI on a removable backup drive to be on the safe side. I'll share my experience on this forum. No reasons to complain so far, it's running smoothly and survived one simulated power outage. I don't think I'd be bending it to the extreme, though. Mostly just normal running of the system.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  15. Peter2150

Well when I tried to break it, I did power resets at various stages of booting, did one while my registry cleaner was running, etc. I could not break it. I chose not to use Rollback even though I have licenses, because I prefer FDISR. But thats a feature issue.

16. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Out of interest, why didn't they honour the offer they made on their forum to give you a refund?

Graham

17. fce

fce Registered Member

because it's a pure Myths....

0.02cent

18. Empath

Empath Registered Member

The 30 day return policy is for unopened packages, not online sales.

Their return policy is explained here, and includes the following explanation.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats not it's only issues, i had several crashes plus lost all my snapshots with Rollback before, even to the point of having ti uninstall it leaving only a baseline to resort to.

I still in all honesty cannot trust an app with such a consistent track record for issues and data destruction as this and untill such time it proves itself reliable, i've completely dismissed it from any further effort in even trying it out.

FD-ISR is far more reliable and has been from day one in comparison.

20. Selukwe

I noticed that with more snapshots (I have more than 20 and some of them are quite large) uninstalling Eazfix takes much longer than with just a few of them (actually some 15 - 20 minutes). Since I presume that power outage during uninstallation of this program could be a possible call for a partition disaster, would removing snapshots before uninstallation make a difference here and if so would deleting them or updating the baseline to the latest be a better solution?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just thought i'd add my 2c to the conversation. I've been using rollback 8.1 for a couple of months now and its never crashed on me once. Its been stable, fast and doesn't impact my system at all. It even offers some data protection by disabling malicious direct disk IO.

22. Peter2150

There a a whole host of things that can get screwed up by a power outage. Sure Rollback can get messed up, so can a lot of other things. A UPS backup is the solution for that.

23. Selukwe

The Drive Image feature of v8.1 works somehow strangely. First, it wasn't able to detect any of my two internal LG DVD-RW multi drives. Then, when trying to include a created image inside the bootable ISO file, it didn't do it and my bootable DVD thus contains just the restore program. It loads OK but with EF installed it does not see any of my partitions though the program's documentation says EF doesn't have to be uninstalled. Is this its normal style of operation? What's the benefit of the backup image if it cannot be used (I cannot even locate it on an unprotected partition)?

To make things even worse, I couldn't even manually copy the created image to the Drive Image bootable disk as it was closed for other recording even though I specifically set my burning software not to close it. Really untested feature this new drive image option in v8.1. How can they release something like this without trying to successfully run it at least once?!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  24. Peter2150

Hi Selukwe

Rollback folks I feel have pretty much solved the stablity issues. Imaging is another matter. There imaging solution flat doesn't work for me either. I have to compress back to the baseline snapshot, and then I can't image in windows. This is the primary reason I don't use Rollback.

Pete

25. appster

appster Registered Member

Enter Drive Snapshot. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.