E00070021:cannot access drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blenderbender, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blenderbender

blenderbender Registered Member

Using ATI 10 build 4942 and it has been working great, or so I thought until last few days I've been getting this error message when I try and create a full disk image. Says drive C is either running applications (which according to task manager it isn't) or there are bad sectors and it cannot create drive image. I've run a built in pre boot utility that says there are no bad sectors. Any ideas?

thanks... Gary

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Run CHKDSK C: /R (Start button, Run and type in the command. You will have to reboot for it to run. Expect it to take up to an hour or more, so don't do it when you have to use the computer right now.)

At the end of CHKDSK, it will give you a report briefly. If you miss it, open a Command window in Windows and type in CHKDSK C: (without the /R). This will bring up the report at the end of a short version of CHKDSK and allow you to read it. Look for bad sectors or any error messages.

After CHKDSK, try TI again and let us know what happens.

3. blenderbender

Thanks John.... I ran chkdsk C: a couple of times after running chkdsk C: /r, and I was never able to read the results as it was too fast for me, so I don't know what the report said. But I still get the same error when I run ATI afterwards. Any other thoughts?

thanks.... Gary

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

What is this pre boot utility? Did the problems start after it was activated? If so the solution is at hand.

Xpilot

5. blenderbender

Can't tell you the name of the pre boot utility, it came built in from Dell... but things started happening well before using it. I didn't use it until I started having problems with ATI.

thanks.... Gary

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, you can run CHKDSK C: in Windows as I described to see if any bad sectors are reported.

However, if a couple of bad sectors were the problem, CHKDSK would have fixed them and you would be back making successful backups. So, either something more serious is wrong with the drive or it's a software issue.

Has anything changed in your set up? Have you installed any new programs or added new hardware? If so, unplug the hardware and try again.

There is a lot of software that doesn't show up in Task Manager that is running. A new Service could have been installed as part of a normal installation, or a rootkit virus could have gotten onto your system.

Boot from the TI Rescue CD and see if you can make a backup image that way. This runs a Linux environment and is entirely separate from the Windows programs on your hard drive. If the backup is successful, the something is running in Windows now that wasn't there before, and that is preventing TI from running. Go over all the recent changes to your system to see if you can figure out what has been added. You could also restore an image from before the problem and see if that corrects the problem.

If you cannot make a backup image from the Rescue CD and get a similar error, I'd worry about a failing hard drive. Again, unplug any new hardware and try again to be sure it isn't due to some new hardware you just added.

Let us know what you find.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello blenderbender,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

It's possible that Acronis True Image installation was damaged by a recent software (or hardware) change. Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging to try and fix the problem.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the following way:
    - Download and unpack the Device Tree application;
    - Run the application;
    - Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;
    - Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;
    - Make a screen shot.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. To expedite the resolution we recommend you to use our Live Chat service after that. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.