Dynamic to Basic Disk Converter

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by SafetyFirst, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Can you recommend a good and reliable software that converts dynamic hard disks to basic ones without losing data on the disks (especially system disk)?

Is Aomei Dynamic Disk manager any good?

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

EaseUS Partition Manager has one. Member TheMozart used it recently.

3. karad

karad Registered Member

I had a similar problem a while ago : i made the mistake of converting to Dynamic the disks in a friend pc. I frantically tried all free ways,but,as i did not want to take any chances with weird methods i decided after a few hours research to buy PartitionWizard ,which does have the capability to almost instantly convert back to Basic with no fuss or loss. A few bucks well spent,imho.

4. SafetyFirst

Can it convert the system disk while the OS is running?

Is that PartitionWizard Professional or Enterprise? I understand an old free version can do that too?

5. karad

karad Registered Member

Sorry for the delay in answering.
    I'm not sure it can,i used the booting disk they have and it was done in a minute! Nothing in the Windows7 OS of the notebook was lost or damaged.
    I guess booting with the disquette and performing the job it is the only sure way.

6. karad

karad Registered Member

I'm not at home now,but i am pretty sure it's the Pro.
    I dont think any free old versions can do that, otherwise i wouldnt have deprived myself of a sum of money, as i had most previous free versions already available.
    In my case i would have paid any amount just to mend my mistake....
    If you can wait and search i seem to remember there was a method someone depicted in a post at Wilders, make a search for Dynamic or Basic disks and you'll probably find it.
    Best wishes.

7. SafetyFirst

Just to clarify, you used PartitionWizard boot CD and you successfully changed the system disk from dynamic to basic?

Did you have separate boot and OS partitions on it?

8. karad

karad Registered Member

Yes I can guarantee you its easier done than said! Just get the software, create the boot disk, consult help or manual about what to choose, insert the disk,boot and proceed.
    Yes ,the notebook in question had a separate boot and OS partitions and i can reaffirm that when it says job done and you reboot no harm is done to anything and you have obtained what you wanted.

9. karad

karad Registered Member

10. SafetyFirst

Karad, thank you very much, it already makes me feel better. :)

How about this (from the link you provided)?

Do you have any info about converting the system disk from within the active OS? If you know something or find a link, please post it here.

Thanks a lot

11. karad

karad Registered Member

I dont have further links,unfortunately,but you dont need anything else than what Partition wizard people say...
    Now, I did the thing from the booting disk....they say that,if you install the software in the machine (Windows),reboot, and then carry on the operations from within the OS it is SAFER regarding the letters, very well then do as they say, when you perform that as soon as the Wizard has finished the preliminaries it will ask you to reboot and it will make the necessary changes at booting as if it is acting from the boot disk, almost the same job, but if they mantain its safer lets do it this way!
    I am positive both ways you achieve your goal.
    Regards,karad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.