Dynamic Disk Support

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Lamar, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamar

Lamar Guest

Does Acronis Software support Dynamic disks in Windows 2003 Server?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. you-are

you-are Registered Member

this feature is needed very badly these days. because many servers has bigger partitions than 2TB and dynamic volumes on dynamic disks........i would expect that DISK DIRECTOR Server Edition at least has to have support for the next things:

- dynamic disks with MBR disk layout
    - dynamic disks with GPT disk layout
    - all types of dynamic volumes on dynamic disks
    - BASIC disks with GPT layout
    - last but not least....support for partitions bigger than 2TB

well, u can consider these as feature request for next major version release and i hope that the next major release is coming soon

4. Acronis Support

Hello you-are,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Thank you for suggestions. These features are already requested and will be implemented in the nearest future certainly.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. you-are

i am just astonished by the fact that technology of DYNAMIC DISK is introduced with WINDOWS 200 and still there are no paartition manager programs that support DYNAMIC DISKS.

how can this be? a technology introduced 5 years ago and still no decent third-part programs for it? even not implemented in the SERVER edition of this third-party programs? i cann't believe it !!! support for dynamic disk and dynamic volumes is needed as badly as bug-fixing, this is just urgent

the list above i called as feature for next release.....in nowdays this list must be supprted by any decent partition editing program...think about how easy in nowdays RAID-systems can be built with many terabyte (6TB is the minimum now). u would expect from a server-edition program to go with developments of the technology in the server-world

6. UODderby

UODderby Registered Member

OK this is officially confusing as I remember disk director suite being advertised as supporting dynamic disks (V9), which is why I bought and used it june 2005 to reallocate some space on one of my windows 2003 boxes.

However, I've just come to use it again and the dynamic disk is greyed out, I assumed SP1 had done something to stop acronis working but are we now saying it doesn't support dynamic disk, did I dream using it before?

thanks Matt

7. you-are

heee.....

devs of Acronis....any news on my suggestion about supporting DYNAMIC DISKS and DYNAMIC VOLUMES? AND bigger than 2TB partitions? it is about at least 3 months ago since my suggestions, but i dont see any work on this, or any announcements about this. what is the current situation?

and MATT....i dont think it has to do with the sp1 of your server2003, it is the Acronis product that u use, which is simply not supporting DYNAMIC DISK / VOLUME

8. UODderby

UODderby Registered Member

Nope I've just gone back to check our changelogs and we definately used Acronis Disk Director Suite 9 to

shrink a 2003 pre sp1 dynamic disk from 195GB to 170GB
    and then allocated that space to the C drive

weird....

9. Acronis Support

Hello you-are and Matt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We regret to inform you that support for Windows Dynamic Disks was not implemented into Acronis Disk Director Suite yet. Our Developers work on this enhancement at the moment and probably this feature will be available in future, but I'm afraid that the exact time frame is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

10. you-are

plz, also dont forget about the support for the partitions over the 2 TB limit.....as for dynamic disks and volumes.....i cann't imagine o_O a server program lacking in support for modern technologies (dynamic disk/volume bigger than 2TB):thumbd:

11. Ikester

Ikester Registered Member

Now it's August. When will a timeframe be established? This quarter? This year? Next? A rough timeframe please. I need to know if I should be looking elsewhere.

Is there any workaround perhaps? Could a dynamic disk be converted to something else before unleashing Disk Director?

In the meantime:
    Nothing about dynamic disks but since dynamic disks are used a lot (always?) with RAID arrays, the text above seems misleading to me. BTW, I can't find anything about this shortcoming in the sales literature either.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  12. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Management Software

Please note that if you need to upgrade Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks you can do it without data loss. But if you downgrade Dynamic Disks to Basic then you will lose all your data. We strongly recommend you not to convert dynamic disks if it is possible.

You can also make a backup of a Dynamic Disks using Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows then use Acronis Disk Director 10 Suite according to your needs and then to restore an image on a basic disk.

Please be aware that Acronis Developers Team works hard to improve Acronis products. Propably a support of Dynamic Disks will be implemented in the nearest release.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

14. Ikester

Ikester Registered Member

According to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=110511&highlight=dynamic disk conversion from dynamic to basic can be done ... at least in XP. Comments?

Also,

"Probably"? It's now February 2007. Dynamic Disk support has been "coming" for at least a year. Come on guys. Give. You gotta *know* whether the next release has it.

And when is the "nearest release" planned? I'm sure no one would hold your feet to the fire if you're out by a few months. So will it be this quarter? next? this year?

15. mattdk

mattdk Registered Member

Dynamic disks support spanned volumes. If you have converted your disks to dynamic disks, but are not using spanned volumes, you can convert back to basic disk by simply editing your partition table. This procedure is, of course, for experts only, and would unlikely ever be recommended by Acronis.

If your disks are dynamic AND spanned, it makes no sense to convert them back to basic disks, since the data would be "cut in half"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.