dynamic -> basic -> RAID1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marius_panait, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marius_panait

marius_panait Registered Member

Hi!

I have the following config: Intel server with 2 SCSI HDD'd, one is 18GB for system - dynamic disk (because we tried to mirror software but didn't work!), the other one is 36GB for data. The OS is Windows 2000 standard server with the latest SP and updates.

The problem: we got some bad blocks on the system HDD. The good news is that we do not need any more the file containing the bad sectors.

What we need to do ASAP: clone the system HDD on another 18GB SCSI HDD (different manufacturer, if this counts).

Where we want to go, ideal case: RAID 1 for system HDD.

I understood from the other messages that Acronis True Image Server for Windows can help us to move the system image from the dynamic to a basic disk (we do not need any more dynamic disks). This will solve our current problem. But...

My question is: can we, in the second step after installing an Intel RAID controller and another 2 new HDD's in RAID1 config, move the system image from the basic disk to the RAID1 disks?

Tx
    Marius

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marius,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

To do what you want you will need to install RAID drivers into Windows before you restore it to RAID array. This will allow the system boot from the array, otherwise you may get boot error resulted from the fact that boot device has changed.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.