dvd works fine but wont load bootable ISO's

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DarkPhoenix, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

I can use the dvd like normal as long as its running through windows, but as soon as i put in an install disk for an operating system and tell the PC to boot the disk instead of my hard drive, i get a blank screen.

At first I thought perhaps the dvd was dirty, so i cleaned, no good, downloaded fresh copies of the OS I want to install and burned to a fresh dvd, no good. Tried multiple OS's i had backed up on dvd's no good. I KNOW one of the OS dvd's do work because it loads find for install on another system.. thing is.. i need this system for the install so the hard drive im installing the OS on will work in this system.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

That can happen if you're using a external DVD without power cable (usb only)...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And have you tested the dvd you created boots on another system?

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably the ISO was not burned properly.
    As Cudni said, you should try it in another system, if it fails too then it mean the ISO itself does not works or it was not burned properly. :D

5. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

He said he did try the disc in another system and it loaded. So it's not the disc.

He didn't say if it was an external USB drive without a power bar, so that might be the issue.

He needs to provide more information.

I vaguely recall seeing something during POST on my new Gigabyte board that makes me think that the BIOS doesn't support booting from an external drive (regardless of power bar) but I don't feel like booting right now to confirm that.

OK, I rebooted and the message says that the board will only boot from HDDs (and SSDs) and CD-ROM drives. This may mean CD-ROM installed/wired to the motherboard and exclude external USB/E-Sata CD-ROMs, and Flash etc.

6. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

It is an internal dvd drive for a laptop.

Since the windows operation of the drive seems o.k... and this only happens when the drive is under the control of the bios, could something have happened to the bios drivers for the dvd sata port?

How would I check this or fix?

BTW my system has the ability to boot from hard drive, dvd drive, USB and network connection.

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

You can try to restore bios defaults (normally by pressing F9). If you do that, in the end don't forget to change boot device priority to choose cd/dvd as 1st device. A good idea would be also to carefully clean the DVD lens with a proper product.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Try a lens cleaner disk or some alcohol or a screen wipe.

Try using a boot menu if your BIOS has one, can be useful for giving time for drives to spin up and read discs before time out happens.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Early BIOS did not look at a sata drive as a standard drive. There were settings usually labeled "legacy". It applied to any sata connection. Essentially, the BIOS did not know how to boot from the drive. I had issues on a few early motherboards, and it was usually fixed by a bios flash or making sure settings were correct so the sata ports were seen as legacy. You might see if your bios has any options such as this.

If the boot sector is working on the disc, as verified in another machine, then it comes to either the drive not reading properly, or the drive not being able to be used as a boot device. Reasons could vary of course, but in my experience, those are the two problems you will run into.

Do also bear in mind that if you have burned the disc yourself, a dvd -r and +r are not exactly the same, and some players prefer one or the other. As well, I have many dvd drives that don't like discs made by other drives, but have no problems with ones they make themselves. As well, a slow burning speed can often help, as can good media. Where I live, I only buy Sony these days. I can get verbatim and some other brands (maxell, io, many others), but as I have burned well over 3000 dvds/cds, Sony is what I can get, on sale, with fewest coasters made. You might find different results, I am only saying to pay attention to media if you burn your own, it can make a difference.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.