DVD+RW Problems in Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chessla, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessla

chessla Registered Member

I just purchased and installed an 8X Toshiba DVD/CD ROM drive and, after formatting some Ritek Ridata 4X DVD+RW DVD's (with Nero InCD 4) using the UDP 1.5 format (which Nero recommended), when I attempt to do a backup with True Image 6 (latest build -- 349, I believe), I get the error message that states "Disk is already written or full. A possible reason may be poor media quality".

After reading some of the other posts regarding DVD problems, I tried doing a "Quick Format" on a test DVD to erase the file system without erasing the UDP format (just in case this was the reason why True Image refused to write to the DVD), however, I was not able to proceed with a backup as I received the same error message again.

Needless to say, Windows Explorer shows that there is no data on the DVD.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi chessla :)
    And a warm welcome to Wilder's !
    In the first instance please make sure you have the latest firmware for your 8X Toshiba DVD/CD ROM drive. The link is here for you to check on this. Do make sure that you match the your model exactly to what is on the website. These firmware upgrades are necessary from time to time and do fix most errors regarding the reading and writing of disks and also messages as to your disks being blank when in fact there not

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...000003c7/8182000006d4000000010000659c0000154c

Regards

3. chessla

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

I checked your link and, unfortunately, I was not able to find a firmware update for my particular DVD model (SDR5272).

Another part of the Toshiba site mentioned that Toshiba ATAPI DVD burners don't require firmware updates.

4. NICK ADSL UK

5. chessla

Good find, Nick.

I downloaded the utility and upgraded from firmware version 1030 to 1031, however, it didn't do the trick.

Just as an FYI, I did a test burn under Windows and was able to save and then delete around 1.6 Gb of data to one of the DVD's in question.

6. NICK ADSL UK

Hi chessla :)
    Sorry that didn't do the trick. Also there are issues with the disks themselves. I know that the Toshiba likes the Verbatim disks and you could try to get hold of one of theses to try. They ae readily available in most towns

Regards

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello chessla,

Maybe one of the suggestions in <this thread> or its embeded link will help you overcome the problem.

Regards

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

9. chessla

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I apologize for not mentioning that I am attempting to do the backup from the TI boot CD as this seems to be the root of the problem.

I was able to get a hold of support and, unfortunately, it seems that TI doesn't have the ability to write directly to DVD's on its own--even with UDF formatting.

So, I guess I'll have to do the "two step" backup process (back up to another partition and then burn the images to DVD) until such time that Acronis is able to implement some sort of DVD writing technology.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi chessla,

Yes you're correct, TI can't create an image direct to DVD from the boot rescue environment. See my <earlier post> for the evidence.

Is there any reason why you can't backup direct to DVD whilst TI is in the Windows environment?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.