DVD/CD Burner Software

Discussion in 'polls' started by Dr. Lucien Sanchez, Mar 2, 2007.

?

Which DVD/CD Burner do you use?

1. Ashampoo Burning Studio

41 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. Nero 7

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. DVD Power Burner

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  4. Oront Burning Kit

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. BurnQuick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. DeepBurner

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. CDBurnerXP Pro

19 vote(s)
    9.7%
  8. RecordNow

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. Other (Please Specify)

61 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Still using Nero 6. Never had any problems so far.

2. 2badmice

2badmice Registered Member

Nero 7 without a shadow of a doubt, really improved since versions 5 & 6

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My new Dell came with a copy of Record Now. Having never done any burning until I got the new Dell, I had no idea what's good and what's not. Record Now is made by Sonic, and it does a decent job. The only thing that is really bad is their support. I tried to contact them to ask a question, and have never found a more insulated company. I couldn't get in by phone. I sent a request through their support page, and a week later I got an answer which was basically "I don't know".

4. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

I use Nero 7 Lite 7.7.5.1 R1.7.2.2

Works out at 78.98mb installed:blink:

[If you want smaller try the Nero 7 Micro version]

Nero 7 Lite includes:
    · Nero Burning Rom
    · Nero Express
    · Nero CoverDesigner
    · Nero WaveEditor
    · Nero Toolkit

These programs are left out:
    · Nero Home
    · nero Scout
    · Nero StartSmart
    · Nero SoundTrax
    · Nero Vision
    · Nero Recode
    · Nero Showtime
    · Nero MediaHome
    · Nero PhotoSnap
    · Nero BackItUp
    · Nero InCD
    · Nero SoundBox
    · Nero ImageDrive

rgds

chalawah

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

CDBurnerXP Pro 3. Seems to do it all. I also have Sonic Recordnow! but i never used it.

Anyone knows what CDBurnerXP Pro 3 lacks regarding payme software?:D
    TIA

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Nero Enterprise Edition

Everything else pales in comparison in my estimation. Been burning with it since windows 98 and never found a reason to switch.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There is one thing I don't understand in this thread.
    Some members use a specific burner for audio, another burner for movies, another burner for ISO-files, another burner for photos and another burner for etc.
    I use the same burner for everything. Am I stupid or what ?

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't think you're stupid:D , you're just like me, waiting for the why to use other programs. Any takers?

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I´ll take the challenge :D
    Almost every burning engine is fine and reliable enough. Burning apps usually differ in features, GUI, ease of use and disk/memory footprint. However, there are situations where specific apps come in handy. For example, I use a burning app for almost any task and a specialized tool for Audio-CD burning. What makes the later more useful?
    Its features:
    Burrrn:
    - ReplayGain aware.
    - Good CD-Text support.
    - Support of EAC noncompliant CUE Sheets.
    - Support of lossless images with embedded CUE Sheets.
    So, I can take a WavPack image with embedded CUE and make a bit-perfect and layout-perfect copy of a CD-DA without decoding to WAV and correcting the CUE.
    It certainly resembles a long time "gold standard" of Audio-CD burning plus much more.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  11. serador

serador Registered Member

B's Recorder 9

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Other than that their web page is not responding? ;)
    Does it convert Divx to DVD?

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Lucas1985,
    Thanks for the explanation. So the secret lies in the extra features of the burner, not the burning itself.
    I made a list of all burners of this thread anyway, in case I need these extra features. At this moment, I'm more interested in video, than audio. I'm more an audeo man.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks Lucas, i'll check it out:thumb:
    It seems to be offline for me too...
    Here's a review, and alternative download.
    About the features, i was really asking, since i don't use half the potential of these programs. I was hoping someone who tried it and knew the differences.
    But to convert formats, why not a specialized toolo_O

From the help file:

15. pwstreet

pwstreet Registered Member

Hi,
    For audio, it seems pretty much any burning program will do the job as well as any other, assuming the program can handle the file format.
    When it comes to video, it becomes quite a bit more complicated.When copying\backing up movies that require compression to fit onto a dvd, there are differences in the quality of the final output based on how that compression is done. Most dvd burning programs can handle compression up to about 15% or so with very little loss in quality and difference between burning programs. Movies requiring more compression than this will show a noticable difference (depending on how "picky" the user is, what the final result is viewed on, etc) from program to program.
    For movies requiring high levels of compression to fit the target size, it seems to be the general consensus on forums devoted to these topics (such as After Dawn) that the best quality is obtained by using DVDRebuilder Pro with CCE (CinemaCraft Encoder) which outputs either an iso image or DVD files which than have to be burned. Once these files are output, ready for burning, then again, virtually all burners will create the equal quality final dvd's since again, like with audio, they're just copying bit for bit, no compression. So at this point, choice of burner comes down to personal preference based on factors outside quality considerations (user friendliness, what's available, etc.).
    When it comes to burning image files, again it would be based which program you liked to use, but program used should have virtually no effect on final quality.
    I realize this may have gotten away from the original question on which "burner" to use but that is a very tough question to respond to correctly without also referring to what is being burned.

Bill

16. bartle

bartle Registered Member

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

pwstreet and Lucas: there's this program, Super (freeware) that converts video and audio formats.
    You seem to know about the subject, can you check this out?
    With a cd/dvd burner, is anything else needed?

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I just wanna say, great thread. Believe it or not but I almost never burn stuff, but currently I need to do so and I never really knew which apps to use. I´m gonna check some of them out. :thumb:

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

@Someone,
    That app looks very nice. However, working with audio files is a bit different. I doubt that Super supports WavPack images with embedded CUE. For audio transcoding, I do use foobar2000.

20. pwstreet

pwstreet Registered Member

Hi Someone,
    I checked out your link. That program looks interesting. I'm definitely no expert on all the dvd formats since I mainly copy or backup commercial dvd's. That program seems like it will do pretty much all the conversions you would need but once you convert a non-dvd standard format (such as avi, mp4, flash, etc) to the VOB_DVD format, you still require a DVD authoring program to create DVD compliant files. That is what TMPGEnc DVD Author, refered to in your post, is.
    If you're just copying\backing up commercial dvd's that are already in DVD compliant format, you wouldn't need to use a program like Super, you would just use your dvd burning program.

21. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

ImgBurn 2.2.0.0
    roxio Creator by Sonic Solutions
    :)

22. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use ashampoo burning studio 2007, it does everything i need and best of all it was free :).

23. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Same here. I've been a blind follower of Nero for years but began to notice an unnecessesary lag in v7 (honestly, v6 wasn't much better either), so I decided to try other alternatives. CD Burner XP turned my first burning attempt into a complete failure (o_O ), had to ditch it. I don't consider Ashampoo's other products to be of much value, and I hesitated to try ABS at first, but this thing is slowly growing on me.
    Now, I don't do this kind of stuff so lightly, but forgive me I must say this:

Nero v7 -> Ultra Bloatware :D

Regards.

24. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Someone:

Regarding CD Burner XP Pro -

I tried it but I really don't remember the features exactly, but from your post I can see that while it supports cue/bin and Nero's nrg images, it still lacks the support for Nero's img, mdf/mds and udf image formats. Besides that, it's pretty well packed. Also, I'm sure there are few other unsupported formats that I can't think of at this moment.

Regards

25. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i tried out out nero v7 and it really was too much bloatware, the installer was close to 200mb and its services take way too much ram for my likeing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.