DVD Archive Verify hangs Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by APK, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APK

APK Registered Member

I am a new Acronis True Image 9.0 (build 2259) user. I performed full C: Drive Image Backup to another hard drive. Did a Check Archive on that backup with no errors.

Then performed full C: Drive Image Backup directly to a FujiFilm DVD-RW
    4.7GB disc that was formated by Nero's InCD4. Did a Check Archive verify on that DVD Backup and received error messages. The drive light stayed on, could'nt unload the DVD, closed the Acronis application, had to reboot my PC to release the drive.

I know there is the two step method, copy to the hard drive, then burn to a DVD, but it is suppose to work burning directly to the DVD.

Why is the Check Archive hanging my DVD drive?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  2. APK

APK Registered Member

I tried the Check Archive on the DVD again and recieved the error message:

E00070003: Failed to read data from the hard disk drive. A possible reason might be bad sectors on the hard disk drive.

The message states "hard disk drive" but I am checking a DVD?

Also when I inserted the DVD a explorer type window launches that says it is InCD and display the files on the DVD. Could this be cauing the problem?

When I received the errror there was also was Dr Watson prompt.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello APK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please recreate an image with the latest build and see whether the problem still persists.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. APK

APK Registered Member

It took me over four hours to download the latest build of Acronis True Image (2337). I uninstall the (CD) build (2259) that I purchased. Tried to install the build that I download. I received the following error messages:

E0001006F: Failed to read the AcronisTrueImage.msi
    Cannot read from file, a possible reason might be you don't have permission to perform this Operation.

E00650003: The error was encountered while the installation.
    Acronis installation program encountered the error #1620: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
    A possible reason might be that you do not have enough privileges.
    Please check the installation troubleshooting section of the product documentation.

Note: I only have one account created on my PC which is the has Administrator privileges.

5. Acronis Support

Hello APK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Download the eXpress CheckSum Calculator and install it;
    - Run the application;
    - Browse to the file and click Start;
    - Compare a certain checksum (e.g. MD5) with that of the original to make sure the files are identical
    - The MD5 value for Acronis True Image 9.0 (build #2337) must be 2d94aa735953184e37da3525f74f7b13.

If the MD5 value is not 2d94aa735953184e37da3525f74f7b13 then you need to re-download your Acronis product.

If you have the same MD5 value, please do the following:

- Download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install and run it;
    - Select Acronis True Image and hit Remove;
    - Try to install the product once again.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. APK

APK Registered Member

I checked the MD5 value and it did not match. I re-downloaded build 2337 (took 4 more hours) and the MD5 value did match. I uninstalled Acronis, original CD install, and installed the downloaded build 2337.

I perform a image backup to my extra hard drive and performed a Check Archive, which both were successfull.

Then I did a quick format of a DVD using InCD4, peformed a image backup. Then tried a Check Archive on my DVD image backup, I receive message that there was errors.

The log shows the first error message:502 (0x101F6)
    Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated.
    Details:
    Read error (0x70003)
    The drive isn ot ready. (0x4000B)
    The device is not ready. (0xFFF0)
    code = FFFFFFFF80070015

The second/last error message: 5 (0x640005)
    Operation has completed with errors.

The Disc drive light stayed on and I could not open the DVD drive until I rebooted the PC. When logging off of the account, Windows XP Pro did "end process" of InCD.

I retried the process with different DVD, formatted, backed-up, and Check Archive. Same result. errors, drive hung-up.

7. Acronis Support

Hello APK,

Could you please try closing an InCD application before you start checking the image?

Please also try checking this particular image archive when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Please inform us about the results of the above tests.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. APK

APK Registered Member

I tried this last night before updating my post.

InCD has an icon in the notification tray, but when you right mouse click on it there is no "close' option.

So I killed it via the Task Manager, then launched Acronis and tried to perform a Check Archive, but when I got to the screen to select the location of the archived data and clicked on the DVD Drvie (D), it did nothing, the screen did not give the option to advance in process. So I took it that InCD was need for the Check Archive to work.

9. APK

APK Registered Member

I just talked with the people who built my PC and suggested going into MSCONFIG and removing the check mark so InCD4 does not startup with windows xp and see if the Check Archive works then. I will post later on the results.

10. APK

APK Registered Member

I went out to MSCONFIG and unchecked InCD under the startup tab, restarted windows xp and then tried to Check Archive the image backup DVD.

The Total Process bar reached 100% and the message state tha it was Syncronizing with Operating System, but never when any further. Had to reboot to regain access to the DVD drive.

I noticed under MSCONFIG, the services tab there are two entries, InCD Helper and InCD Helper (read only) I tried unchecking them and running the Check Archive but it locked up at 33%.

I enabled the two InCD services and tried the Check Archive again but could not get to the 100% total process that I reached the first time.

I also noticed on my DVD that my image was segmented into three files, should that be? When the image it written to my extra hard drive it is one file.

11. APK

APK Registered Member

Re: DVD Check Archive hangs Drive

I have been searching the forum and faq for a solution and I keep seeing statements made that Acronis True Image 9 can not write directly to a DVD. But that is what I did and the Check Archvie fails on the check of the backup.

The creation of the image ran with no errors, but the check of that image fails.

So can Acronis TI 9 write directly to a DVD?

12. Acronis Support

Re: DVD Check Archive hangs Drive

Hello APK,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Thank you very much for the provided information. It seems like this issue requres a deeper investigation.

Could you please provide us with the following information?

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- What exact version and build number of Nero InCD do you use to format DVDs?

- Which UDF version do you format DVDs into?

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and try to perform the image verification once more. Let us know the result;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also do the following:

- Start command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder;

- Run "cdrecord –scanbus > scanbus.txt" command and collect the scanbus.txt file created.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions has a capability of writing to DVD directly, instead Acronis True Image utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. In other words, all DVDs should be UDF-formatted and a third party UDF packet DVD writing software should be running in Windows "background" in order to be able to write to DVDs directly. The ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds\versions of a particular product, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.