Duplicate or extend to a connected device

Discussion in 'hardware' started by beethoven, Apr 1, 2024.

1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am using two screens and twice a week my system forgets that I am using more than one screen. While it's not a big deal to use the detect second device to fix the issue, it's baffling that this detection is not permanently saved or remembered. It may stick across a few reboots or not - I don't see any consistency. Is there something I miss or should do to "lock" the two screen set-up?

I am using Windows 10Pro 22H2 with one Dell screen and one HP screen.

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Which GPU are you using? Set this using your GPU control panel and then it will be saved.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

which connector? dvi? hdmi? dp?
    which one is lost, dell or hp?
    you should consider thats not windows more the device which is not answering the call or waking up in time.

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

thanks guys, will look into this more - it's the HP using dvi which keeps dropping off - the card I am using is Nvidia Quadro K2000D

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

there exists several builds, with DVI only, with 1 DVI and 2 DP.
    normally windows do not forget this setting (win+p key).
    i have several systems with a 2-monitor setup and all fine.
    winver show that your win10 is on current patch level?

for one of my systems there are 2 DP adapter (intel graphics), but i cannot use them to extend or mirror desktop. i inserted a cheap gpu from nvidia to extend to my HDTV (DP to HDMI adapter).

you K2000D is from 2013 (first) release date? which driver? nvidia original or different?
    check windows logs if the driver is crashing for some reason.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

^^^This^^^

While it could be the card, I suspect the monitor and not the computer itself, or Windows. Windows should not care. The OS does not communicate with monitors. The OS communicates with the graphics solution (card or integrated), which then communicates with the connected monitor(s). I suspect the monitor is failing to sync with the card when coming out of sleep mode.

Does the HP Monitor #2 ever "disappear" while you are using the computer? Or is it only a problem when the system is booting up or coming out of sleep that it is not detected?

First, the often forgotten obvious - are your cables securely fastened?

I suggesting swapping the two monitors and see if the problem stays with the original HP monitor, or moves to the new Monitor #2, Dell. If the problem stays with the HP, then it would seem the HP is the problem.

If the problem moves to the Dell, then you know the problem is with the cables, card or computer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.