Dumprep1.exe, cannot remove

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Fontaine, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

ESET NOD32 detects "C:\Windows\System32:dumprep1.exe" but cannot clean it. It says it's probably a variant of Win32/Trojan. There isn't much on the net regarding this one, but I did locate the registry keys and removed them, however it's still there when I scan.
    Important to note is that it's dumprep1.exe and not dumprep.exe which is a valid windows file.
    Using Vista as my OS.
    My computer has been acting real weird lately. After I log in, it sits on a black screen for about five minutes before finally booting. Never had this problem before.
    Any suggestions on how to remove it? I tried a few online scan programs and none of them picked it up.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you use UAC you may need Admin privilages to access System32 folder . Try to boot in Safe Mode , goto that folder and manually remove the file.

If this doesn't help , use tools like Pocket Killbox or Unlocker (google them)

3. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have admin priv. and tried to find the file in system32 but it wasn't there. Interesting that the location is system32:dumprep1.exe. Any idea why there is a colon in the path? Never seen that before.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

At first I though it was a typo (your colon) . However , now you confirm there is a colon.

This means there is a hidden alternate datastream (ADS) attached to the "System32" folder of Windows. More about them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(filesystem)

You can use this tool (called AdSpy) to search for and remove ADS
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/adsspy.php

When you perform full scan , at the end , use the program to remove the hidden ADS for dumprep1.exe
    Note ! Run Adspy as administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.