Dumped McAfee & loaded ESET Sec.4

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mullbrook, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mullbrook

mullbrook Registered Member

I recently got rid of McAfee because of terrible customer service. Eset Sec. 4 has excellent reviews and i downloaded it successfully. I noticed my computer sped up, very quickly. Is this typical?
    Also McAfee , when I was googled a word or phrase McAfee would rate the site with a green or red icon. Does ESET do the same?
    When on a site and I clicked a link often McAfee would red flag it and I would not venture any further. (I often suspected that Mc Afee was givng false positives.) How does ESET handle this?
    Any comments.
    Novice in Thornhill

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Eset is one of the lightest AV's and McAfee one of the more heavy ones, so with Eset your computer has more resources to spend. Eset doesn't have the search results advice, but if you visit a bad website know to Eset, Eset will abort the connection and notify you. If you use Firefox you could install the addon Web of Trust for community feedback on each search result.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders mullbrook!

1. Yes it's typical when one changes AV to (ESET) that you possibly could see an increase in the PC's performance:thumb:

2. No, ESET does not rate websites in the search results from example Google or Bing. Yet anyway;) .
    And the McAfee feature that did that was the SiteAdvisor.

3. Yes ESET will block access to infected websites via the Web-access protection (HTTP Scanner).
    So Yes you will see blocked websites with ESET's products as well.

Edit: The MetWorst beat me to it :)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you made a great choice. And yes it is like removing a set of bricks from your computer. Plus with Version 5 coming out this year, you got in at the right time.:thumb:

5. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Hi Mullbrook, welcome to ESET forums. ESET products are built for speed.
    Web protection scan all files while you are browsing the Internet...when a file is detected as malicious you will receive a notification or a warning with options. And yes, you're reinforced with a product with fewer false positives.

Regards,
    Pedro Tórrez

6. mullbrook

Thanks to all. I note that some users are running other AV software with ESET. Is that recommended?
    Won't they interfere with each other?
    Mullbrook

7. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Gr8 move:thumb:

They might be using others Avs as ondemand scanners...

in my opinion thers no need to add other ondemand AV because Eset's detection is much much better than others with less FPs. :thumb:

Just add a sandbox and an ondemand Antimalware for scanning.

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Running multiple antivirus products (or products of the same type) is wrong and not recommended . They may run just on-demand scanners such as MBAM , Hitman Pro , etc. which are not antivirus products .

If you want your McAfee web site checking , you can install the free McAfee Site Advisor (http://www.siteadvisor.com) or Norton SafeWeb Lite (http://www.safeweb.com/lite) , or Web Of Trust (as advised before).

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes one can do that, if you use them On-Demand and not in Real-Time.

You can use Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Hitman Pro etc.. On-Demand.

10. mullbrook

Thanks for the tip. If I run McAfee site advisor or Norton etc. will this slow the computer down? I am quite delighted with the new improved speed.
    The comment "getting rid of bricks" was very apropos.
    Mullbrook

11. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello Mullbrook
    If you want seconds opinions on scanresult, then you do not necessary have to have another AV - installed on your system, (if you install a second Av, always run it as on demand for minimizing the risk for conflicts,IMHO ). For a different approach you can use a USB stick, and download portable scanners you can use if and when you want a second opinion. Another possibility is to use online scanners.
    Best Regards:)

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I haven't run McAfee site advisor lately , but I guarantee Norton's Safe Web Lite will not slow your computer and is compatible with ESET products.

Along with your ESET product (if you decide to keep with ESET) , I would recomend you install Hitman Pro (free) from http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3-32-bit/3000-2239_4-10895604.html , it will give you with second opinion

13. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if you want to keep a copy of windows defender on-board, you can do so if you disable the realtime portion - a 2nd look with the scan of your HD during the early hours of the night will not hurt.

I have found many customers forget they have windows defender and if you don't turn off the realtime scanner portion of it, then you run the risk of lockups while both ESET and win.defender scan the same files.

14. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Not entirely true :)

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2390

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.