Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by selkov, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selkov

selkov Registered Member

I loaded ti trial ver9.
    Decided to buy it & went to the web to get a copy.
    Was presented with a choice to secure my d/l so I can d/l again for 2 years.
    Does anyone know if I but the d/l is it a file that is downloaded or is it just installed from the web?

If I get a file I can make a b/u of the disc right?
    So whats with the insurance ?
    A new scam?
    Do they really need $6 more?

2. billwv

billwv Registered Member

Hi,

Last week I downloaded a copy from NewEgg.com. The way it worked was:

1. Make purchase.
    2. Get email with code/link to download.
    3. Download was an install program.
    4. Run install program and enter code.
    5. I copied the install program to CD but that would not work for reinstall--it must be copy protected some way. I also copied the install program to external HDD, and that did work in terms of reinstall.
    6. This I know, since I had to reinstall do to HDD crash. After reinstall of windows and TI9.0 (I had not yet made a boot disk), I was able to recover entire disk.
    7. Once purchased and registered with Acronis, updates are downloadable from their site. And, I suspect that could be a totally new install since many have talked about uninstall and then update--but I'm not sure about this.
    9. Don't know why insurance would be useful.

Sorry for rambling. Hope this helps. Just wanted to relate my experience.

Bill

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Does Acronis publish a statement that updates, within a version, are included?
    Where is the statement?

If I buy version 9, am I entitled to all updates prior to version 10?

Historically, how frequently has there been a version change?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello selkov and Howard,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining what Extended Download Service is in more detail.

Please also note that if you are registered user of Acronis True Image 9.0, you are always able to download the latest build of the program (which is actually the full version) from the Product Updates section of your account on our web-site.

Whatever the case, the program is not being installed from the web site, but the installation file is downloaded.

You might also find this previous thread interesting.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Ok...thx.
    Lots of Info.
    1 question still unclear.

If I download the program:
    If I back up the program & key to a CD and 2 months go by my hardrive crashes & is not recoverable. If I install a new harddrive will I be able to re-install it on the new drive without having to contact Acronis for support?

Will the key still be valid?
    Eds

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

My question remains.

If I buy 9.0, does that entitle me only to updates 9.0.xxxxxx?
    Does it also include updates to 9.y, where y is not 0?

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Short answer is yes, you can reinstall it and the key will be valid.

However, you overlooked why you bought the TI in the first place. If your disk breaks you will just install the new one and write your images you saved to a DVD, CDs or USB device back onto the new disk and you are ready to go.

8. selkov

selkov Registered Member

"However, you overlooked why you bought the TI in the first place. "

No not really. I just want to be sure that i OWN the software that I buy.
    We once bought a product taht allowed me 1 install & that was it.
    When I upgraded the motherboard it thought it was on onother cpu & shut down. I could not reinstall it,, not even on a new drive. Took me 3 weeks to get the support team to "Authorize" the re-installation. Cost me $0000.00 in lost income.

Thier software is partly the reason I am considering TI9.

9. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Usually, when you buy high dollar, flawless software, that is the case. They like to protect it.
    With Ti, you download the file, get the serial, save it wherever and you can reload it anytime thereafter to any new machine. As you probably know, choose save and not run when you download the file. The only downside would be if new controllers etc., that were not supported at the time were introduced to the market. An example would be that Ti6 won't handle new raid setups.
    As far as the extended download, this is probably meant for the grandma email type that isn't aware or don't have the capability of saving the file elsewhere. BTW, I'm not knocking grandma, just an example.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello selkov and Howard,

The simple answer to the above questions is yes.

You will be able to install the program from the beforehand downloaded installation file using your serial number without any support assistance.

Please also note that your serial number for Acronis True Image 9.0 will never expire.

Yes, if you purchase Acronis True Image 9.0 and then register it at our web site using your serial number, you are entitled for all the updates for version 9.X which are available in the Product Updates section of your account.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.