duckduck go

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by jo3blac1, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Anybody uses duckduck go? Some interesting features:

- DuckDuckGo's results are a compilation of many sources, including Yahoo! Search BOSS, Wikipedia, Wolfram Alpha and its own Web crawler, the DuckDuckBot

- DuckDuckGo positions itself as a search engine that puts privacy first and as such it does not store IP addresses, does not log user information and uses cookies only when needed. Weinberg states "By default, DuckDuckGo does not collect or share personal information. That is our privacy policy in a nutshell."

-Weinberg has refined the quality of his search engine results by deleting search results for companies he believes are content mills, like Demand Media's eHow, which publishes 4000 articles per day produced by paid freelance writers, which Weinberg says is, "...low-quality content designed specifically to rank highly in Google's search index." DuckDuckGo also filters pages with substantial advertising.

(Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo)

Ghacks review: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/02/02/why-i-switched-to-the-duck-duck-go-search-engine/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's my default engine.

3. jo3blac1

really? I just set it up as my secondary search engine in FF.

do you feel it's adequate?

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I like the 'box' results at the top. The results usually provide what I need.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I don't know, I love the cleaner results and interface, but it seems like I get less relevant results with it and a lot of blog-like results back. It just doesn't seem as thorough to me :doubt:

6. jo3blac1

Yes when looking for specific information it's is not as good as google. However when looking for general information it will provide more relevant results.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

You can set it up as the default engine in Firefox. It's an about:config job though (unlike SeaMonkey). I always have it set as my default when I use Firefox. Opera has a really cool extension for DDG as well.

In Fx you need the plug-in, then type browser.search.defaultenginename into the config filter & type DuckDuckGo into the box. I use the SSL version of DDG.

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It's '!bang' syntax options can sometimes be useful.
    Just type !g before the search query for 'Google' searches or similar !gi for 'Google Image' search results.
    Another reason why DDG is default on all my different OS's/boxes, those nice little features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.