Dual OS Boot Question - DD9/OS Sel

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Nomar, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomar

Nomar Guest

I have purchased DiskDir9.0 Bld524.

I have a laptop that crashed, but the Hard Disk is useable. I have installed it on a USB Removeable Drive box and am able to access all the data from my desktop. Rather than install the drive physically on my desk top, I would rather create a seperate partition on the desktop drive and make a copy that is bootable. This hopefully will salvage programs that are only functional on the laptop.

My question is the HOW !!

I have tried the following procedure with no luck:
    1. Connect Removable drive to Desktop
    2. Use DiskDirector to copy Removeable drive to desktop drive
    3. Partition is created as Primary with Drive Letter G:

When I use OS Selector to try to boot, an error "Loading Acronis Loader" which states "INF FILE txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing - Status 14".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nomar,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

Could you please explain what you are trying to do? If you want to boot your laptop drive at your desktop we regret to inform you that you won't be able to boot your disk with the system installed for laptop on your desktop because there is a difference between your computers.

If this assumption is wrong please correct it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Nomar

Nomar Guest

Ilya,
    That is correct, I am copying a Laptop drive into a desktop disk partition (new) to create a second bootable OS on the desktop. The desktop already contains XP on it, and I wanted to boot on the Laptop partition using OS Selector.

Would I be able to do this if I was copying from an old desktop disk to a new desktop disk partition?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nomar,

The thing is that your desktop system and your laptop have completely different hardware and that's why you cannot use your laptop system to boot your desktop computer.

If you want to replace your desktop disk with a new one and to copy your operating system and programs to the new hard disk drive then you'd better use Acronis True Image product (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) that has a built-in feature called "Disk Clone".

However, you can try to copy your system partition using Acronis Disk Director Suite but we cannot guarantee that this copy would be bootable. The thing is that Acronis Disk Director Suite doesn't copy MBR of your hard disk drive and Acronis True Image does.

Hopefully informed you well.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.