dual-booting xp and Debian

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i still want to try Linux :rolleyes: i have made some free space on my HDD and am thinking of installing Debian. if i just follow the install instructions and put Debian on the free space will i be able to dual boot? i need to be able to pick which OS i boot into because my modem won't work with Debian, i'll need to download files with XP then put them on Debian. thanks

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I am using Xandros which is a version of the Debian Linux and on the installation from the CD it said where would you like to put your Xandros installation and if you chose your windows partition. it would let you resize and repartition your windows C: hard drive to the size you would like and the rest was for linux.

On the next boot up immediately after the bios a screen came up offering to choose which operating system to boot up. I have installed three linux distros (two were debian based, the other Debian based was Mepis and the third Mandriva) and all did this exact same thing. So i assume it is a standard for Linux installations. So yes i would say you are alright.

But if you are serious about getting to know linux (it is a bit of a shock at first as it is completely different from Windows) this forum is fantastic for all your linux help needs.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php

Also final point, if you are wanting to connect to the internet Via linux. I strongly recommend using a Ethernet connection for your modem. As it is a major pain (and i mean a pain for people who have been using linux for years) to get USB modems to work with linux. But my Ethernet Router connected much easier than windows XP did (to the level that for months i couldnt get it to work right with windows and had to use linux to browse the web).

Hope this is some help
    Anthony

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thanks for the help. that was my point - i have a USB modem, i have been through all the setting up of a USB modem. if it doesn't work i'll get a Mac. :D

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it worked! it dual-boots. now all i have to do is configure my modem :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.