Dual booting ME and XP problems

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Chaz_III, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz_III

Chaz_III Registered Member

I am very disapointed! After days of online research and trial and error I am yet to be able to dual boot XP with ME. I thought this product would help for sure, but I was sadly mistaken or I just couldn't figure out how to have this product recognize the HD or partition with ME.

I have two 250 gig Western Digital HD's one of which I installed and partitioned as 100gig ntfs/100gig ntfs/50gig fat32 and I installed ME on the third partition-50gig fat32. I then removed the HD containing ME from my PC and installed the second HD which I partitioned 100gig ntsf/100gig ntsf/50gig ntsf and installed XP on partition 1-100gig ntsf. I then re-installed the HD with ME (I now know this procedure was incorrect for dual booting) and began my fruitless efforts of attempting to dual boot. I tried, uninstalling dynamic drive overlay, jumper configuration, editing the "boot.ini" in both OS's, XP repair, changing BIOS HD selection order, and Acronis. After Installing this software the only OS that was recognised was XP. The only way I am able to switch between OS's is to make the appropriate changes in BIOS, which is not even worth it. Please tell me there is a way to dual boot with this software that I overlooked. I spent 50$ in hopes that my dual booting doldrums would be resolved. :mad: o_O :( :'( :doubt: :oops:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Chaz_III,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

The problem is that you installed both operating systems separately from each other. You may either install the second operating system with the existing first one and then install Acronis OS Selector or install the first operating system, then Acronis OS Selector and then add another operating system. You may read the step-by-step instructions about how to add the new operating system into Acronis OS Selector in User's Guide (point 8.2.3).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. ...

... Guest

Thank you for your quick response. So if I had made a backup copy of my existing XP, can I do a clean install of XP on the same HD as ME (the correct way) and then restore the clean install of XP with the backup I made? Even though XP will be on a different HD? Anybody know?

It's just such a pain to install an OS, drivers, software, and personal settings; too many restarts.

4. Chaz_III

FINALLY!!!!!!! After countless hours of online research and trial and error I have finally managed to get my system dual booting. I initially installed the OS incorrectly for dual booting and would have never been able to get them to dual boot. I left the OS's the way they where and purchased "Acronis". After purchasing and installing the program I thought, for sure this thing will work. Initially, I was sadly mistaken. It didn't work.
    I then uninstalled the product and continued in my fruitless efforts trying to dual boot. Unsuccessful as I was with "Acronis" in my first attempt, I persistently tried again. I have no Idea what I did but when the boot menu came up this time, it now displayed ME. After excitedly clicking on the icon I was punched in the gut with a missing or corrupt files message. Although I'm a very patient and persistent person, I truly felt like smashing my computer into little pieces with a baseball bat. The only thing holding me back was remembering how much money I spent on my computer and all its toys. Oh yeah! and seeing the ME displayed as an OS selection kinda helped too. Back to reality, I tried making some more changes (again not knowing what I was doing) and whaduyano!...........It worked. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful to anyone else with similar circumstances but I was really just trying anything and I don’t know exactly what I did.

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Glad to hear that you got it working, Chaz :)

* Note to self: Never let Chaz touch my computer *

6. Chaz_III

Thnx! I was literally jumping for joy. :D :D :D

lol :) :) I usually don't get angry when trouble shooting because it fullfills a need I have to fix things :) , but I was starting to think I was never going to fix this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.