Dual-booting and Encryption trouble..

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by leetlover, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leetlover

leetlover Registered Member

Hi, I recently switched to Ubuntu from Debian and it's pretty neat. Everything works as expected and it even has the dm-crypt/LUKS installer support Debian has.
    I have encrypted everything with dm-crypt/LUKS except my /boot partition, but I'm using a dual-boot setup and I need a way to encrypt Windows and access the encrypted partitions from Ubuntu.
    So my question is: What would be the best solution in my case ? Linux is properly encrypted, but I need something to encrypt Windows partitions as well and they must be usable from Linux. I've installed TrueCrypt on Windows, fixed the bootloader, it works fine, but it doesn't seem to allow to encrypt any partition except the system one without formatting it first (WEIRD.).

And sorry if this issue has been discussed already, I've found some posts with related content, but nothing relevant for my needs.

I'm able to use PGP Whole Disk Encryption as well, but that won't fit my needs either, they have a low-level Windows driver that takes care of decryption when it boots.

Maybe it'd be possible to modify TrueCrypt's source code and remove the need of formatting ?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.