DSA advice (replace my old firewall)???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cet, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Hi all,I would like to learn if I can use dynamic security agent to replace my old sygate personal firewall.I am behind a nat router fw adsl.I am using cyberhawk ssm free and antivir pe.If I use DSA should I dump cyberhawk or ssm.I only have 512 ram and only want free programs, not overlapping each other.If you can give me other advices I will be glad to listen to them.My PC is XP SP2.o_O

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well DSA is not a firewall so it can't really replace one however in your situation you have a hardware firewall so a software one is not really necessary. DSA does have some outbound network protection but i'm not too sure how effective it is.

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I use the same set-up and windows xp actually recognizes DSA as a firewall. I have put DSA through every leak test and even scoundrel simulator, and it passes every one. AS you may be able to tell, I think DSA is a great program. Effective, low on system resources, etc. However, I found that cyberhawk (another good app) conflicted with DSA and slowed my system down.

4. cet

cet Registered Member

So which one did you choose DSA or CHawk.I am using cyberhawk only because it has goto_O excellent results from the keylogger tests.Did you test DSA with keyloggers or have read anything about it??

5. steve161

DSA. I have run every test that was recommended on this forum and it has passed everyone. I cannot remember the particular name for the keylogger test but if you post the name, I will run it against DSA. I subsequently tried CH without DSA but I noticed a bit of a system lag.

6. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you I will dump CH AND SYGATE and install DSA.So it is compatible with system safety monitor is it??
    and the keylogger test is:http://syssafety.com/leaktests.html
    according to this page:http://www.techsupportalert.com/Security Tests/HIPS/Security Tests - CyberHawk V1.2.htm
    cyberhawk passed it.If you can try it will be very valuable.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  7. steve161

Tried the keylogger test. It would not run. Credit to either DSA or my own ineptitude. AS far as SSM, I would not know if there is a compatibility problem since I don't use it. However, based on the reviews in this forum, it would seem that having DSA and SSM would be redundant because DSA is also a real-time system monitor. There are many here who post positive reviews of SSM, so they would be in a better position to comment on its features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.