DRWEB is the Best AV....anyone else agree with this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Barney, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f123

f123 Guest

1.It's a good idea to image C and D at the same time if you've added new software to the system. If you've installed a program that puts data in the C partition, and you didn't capture the data via an image file, then the program may not function. Software vendors do this for registration purpose. The easy way out is to reload the software to the D partition. I a have a multi-boot system. Installed Offfice 2000 three times to the D partition from W98SE, W2K Pro, and WXP Pro. No problemo.

2.If your OS never changes with time (won't happen cause of Service pack, security updates, e-mails, and new programs), then you can put everything in one partition. Note that some programs like games can take a huge chunk of the HD. Programs rarely go bad, and if they do, then you can simply remove/reload. Reloading the OS and customizing it can be a pain. That's why I like to keep the OS separate from the data partition.

If you just want to test a program, then put it in the C partition. At the end of the test session, reload the old image file. It's much quicker to restore a 710MB partition with only the OS. There is no need to image the D partition unless you've added a new software that you want to keep to the system.

3.It depends on the speed of your system. A modern system can RESTORE 700MB of data in one minute. The write speed is about 1/2 of this. Note that we are writing from one partition to another partition (same HD).

4.It can vary, depending on set-up. I normally put everything in manual (M) except for the followings:

automatic updates...D (disable)
    Background intelligent transfer service...D
    COM+ event system...A (auto)
    Error reporting...D
    Event log...A
    HID input service...A
    IMAPI CD burning...D
    Indexing service...D
    Logical disk Manager...A
    Messenger...D
    Network Connections...A
    Network location awareness...D
    Plug and Play...A
    Print spooler...A
    Protected storage...A
    Remote access auto connection manager...D
    Remote access connection manager...A
    Remote procedure call...A
    Remote registry...D
    Security accounts manager...A
    Shell hardware...A
    SSDP discovery service...D
    System event notification...A
    Task scheduler...A
    Telephony...A
    Terminal services...D
    Universal plug and play device host...D
    Windows audio...A
    Windows management instrumentation...A
    Windows time...D
    Workstation...A

5.Also have ZA Pro 4.5.594. Firewall Internet zone and trusted zone set to HIGH. Program Control\Main set to HIGH. Disable Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer (four red Xs) in Program Control\Programs. The only program with server right is Firefox. All others are blocked (two red Xs under server column). Nothing is hack-proof. I believe my system is 95% secure. If something goes wrong, then I simply restore the data from the image file.

Hackers are more interested in unprotected PCs. You are running in steath mode. Much more difficult to hack a PC that is not visible.

F.

2. fredg115-80

fredg115-80 Registered Member

Yeah I guess youre right. With the service pack and security updates + new apps , I will eventually need to create a new backup. I am just worried that something bad will sneak in undetected and will be saved in the backup. Separating the OS from everything else also seems logical, so I think I'll do that too.

some more questions:

1) Should I contract a bug (spyware or virus), is it likely to effect any of my files/apps on D, or is it just a simple case of restoring only C?

2) If I were to restore only C, will all of my apps on D remain with their current customisation?

3) Roughly how long would an image of the OS take to restore from a cdr (40x cdrom)?

4) Have now configured ZA as you have instructed. Why disable Windows Explorer and IE? Are they security risks?

About the services, I am going to have a read through Black Vipers guide ( http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm ) just to familiarise myself with it so that a) I understand what the hell I am doing, and b) In case I find I might need/not need certain services. I may come back to you with a few questions about this if thats cool with you.

Thanks

FG

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Can you post a new thread if you want to carry on with this theme of partitioning and disc-imaging. The original post was on the benefits of using Dr Web!

New people looking at the thread title are not going to see what they thought/hoped they would as a number of posts now are completely off topic!!! ( there are now 26 OT posts in this thread !!! :mad: ).

I know that most threads wander off topic but this one seems much worst than most!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Agreed, f123 your post would be a good thread to start on its own :D

Cheers :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

28 now, Blackspear :D

6. fredg115-80

fredg115-80 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.