DrWeb Behaviour...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DavidStorm, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidStorm

DavidStorm Registered Member

Hi,

Don't want to "hijack" this thread, but I also wanted to know what Dr. Web is all about...

It located a number of trojans (all suspected), except one that AvastAV (when it was still installed on my computer) noted in the recycle bin, but couldn't get rid of, because it kept cycling the warnings, and couldn't do anything about it.

(I then uninstalled AvastAV to try to get something better, found NOD32 rated highly, installed the trial)

Then found NOD32 ineffective, enabled ZoneAlarmAV. (primarily used as my firewall)

So, during the scan, it "moved" all the trojans into an "archive", which I couldn't find, and the "cure" option could not be enabled in the program (launch.exe).

I then downloaded the trial of DrWebAV, thinking that it might help me delete the trojans permanently, but Spybot caught something, a screenshot is enclosed.

Two things now:

1. What to do with Dr. Web - do I use it as my primary AV or not? I understand that it's not the best.

2. Is DrWeb safe if Spybot is warning us about their program??

I'm running ZoneAlarm Security Suite v.8.0.059.000, but turned off the AV to install DrWeb, which requires a restart.

Oh yes, NOD32 couldn't find this trojan (the one in the recycled folder), despite multiple passes on different days. Neither could ZoneAlarm's AV, but which hasn't had much of a chance, since I was always running AvastAV earlier...

TIA!

Attached Files:

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Any chance you sent the ones NOD couldn't find to Eset?

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

1. Doctor Web is a fine choice as your primary Av. I sometimes recommend it to friends who are looking to try something other than NOD.
    2. Yes Dr. Web is fine if you are downloading from a legitimate site.

4. thathagat

thathagat Guest

5. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I recently used DrWeb Cureit, it found MBAM and AboutBuser as possible trojans along with two other files as trojans. One file in a tax program that I am using the other in System Volume Information. Neither Jotti or Virus Total found anything. I tried to submit the two questionable files to DrWeb and believe that one actually transmitted but try as I might I could not send the other. I hit the Send Button several times before I finally gave up. I am waiting a day or so before trying to send them again. Appeared to be a good program but I would have really liked to have been able to send the questionable files for review to see whether or not they were false positives. I believe that I will continue using the program on occasion am I fooling myself? As always I will appreciate any replies and will thank you in advance.

John

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

will people please give drweb a break?
    they are a very good company and produce a very decent antivirus program. sure it has some fp's but if you send the files with the subject false possitive they will be fixed. make sure the files are in a password protected archive.

7. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi John,
    Drweb detected MBAM with me as a backdoor trojan,I sent the files to drweb last night.Today I received a e-mail from drweb saying the problem as been fixed.For me drweb no longer detects MBAM as a trojan.
    Badcompany.

8. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Badcopy, nice to know. I am definitely going to continue with DrWeb. I was having difficulty with an "IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error" and I don't know for sure what happened but after scanning with DrWeb the problem has not surfaced again. Had to of been DrWeb, I know that I didn't do anything to of corrected the problem. You apparently had no problems with sending files to DrWeb. I have tried several times to send a couple of files I believe to be false positives but using the form in the DrWeb Website I cannot get the send button to work. Do you have any suggestions. Anyway, thanks for the info.

John

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Just email them with a description of some kind to vms[AT]drweb.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.