DrWatson Error/Crash of Wordpad

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SammyJack, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Can someone help me test, and see if it is possible to reproduce, a error I get in Wordpad?

If you will,please start with a fairly large word document,(over 200kb.)
    open,click edit,select all.
    then, while the text is highlighted in blue,click the "find"icon in the Wordpad toolbar.

Do you get a Dr.Watson error message,followed by a crash of Word pad?

On my Windows XpSp3 machine I do.
    With smaller documents under a 100kb,there is no crash,and the "find"search box comes up normally.

It is not a big deal,as I can not thank of why anyone would WANT to do these operations in that order,
    but it was something I discovered while trying to get a wonky font,since removed to work,and I wonder if it is normal.

thanks

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yes i do also, running XP SP3.

Caused by "The instruction at 0x5f801088 referenced memory at 0x000000004. The memory could not be read."

Really strange considering how old and common Wordpad is to have a bug like that.

3. SammyJack

Thanks 1boss1!!
    Yes it is a little strange,I am just glad it is not
    a "weirdness" peculiar to my system!
    sj

PS:And that is the exact same error message,also.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Nope not just your system.. Unless both our systems came out of the "weird" batch.

I don't use Wordpad, but i noticed the "find" box is right next to the "cut" button and going "select all" then "cut" is a common action so it would be easy to hit the wrong button.

I wonder how many people have spent hours writing a 200kb document, then crashed it and lost the lot. :cool:

5. SammyJack

"I wonder how many people have spent hours writing a 200kb document, then crashed it and lost the lot."

Exactly!
    I do use Wordpad,and tend to convert PDF Ebooks to that format.
    So I deal with a lot of the 200KB+documents.
    what surprised me also is nothing I could find on Google dealt with this issue.

I also use Sandboxie,and I use Returnil,But I do not force Windows explorer to run Sandboxed,and never run Wordpad Sandboxed.
    I have also confirmed this error without either active.
    I do not dare to enter the morass of attempting to report a bug to Microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.