DRW av 4.32 vs SpywareBlaster: Part Two

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SG1, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

So, I get new ver of DRW today; was able to open Spywareblaster just once long enough to update - whew! - before DRW went back to usual hijinks of not allowing me to open Spywareblaster. I get the Terminate or Shutdown choice from DRW, period.
    Yes, I have excluded certain files/DIRs from the scanner and Spider, to no avail. I.E., DRW still finds and "eradicates" MYDOOM something from TrojanHunterGuard, of all things; it pinpoints Hijack This as probable win script virus, BUT does allow Hijack This to run, oddly. Go figure...

So, do I disable heuristics in program, and run chance of something catching me off guard, or try to diable it if I want to run Spywareblaster? Or, is there some setting I may've gotten wrong in DRW 4.32?

And, judging from "other virus software" posts, I wonder: on this PC at least with WIN98SE, the new SpiderGuard in 4.32 pretty much looks exactly like the old SpderGuard (4.31b) which I uninstalled before loading new ver. I have no fancy-color screen shots like those posted in this area, and certainly have found no right click to disable SpiderGuard. Or, is that perhaps due to my using an older OS, than some of the others may have? Or, did I just flat out miss something?

But mostly, I just want to find a method to freely open Spywareblaster, without DRW throwing an anchor out everytime. Geesh! And, I did write the company about that, and the TrojanHunter FP not long ago.

Thanks for help/info, SG1 (Pat)

--------------------

* Writing this update to thank folks for their ideas/thoughts/help, and Bellgamin in particular for his suggestion that worked.

So others may know, should the need arise: I disabled Kernel protection in SpiderGuard, and ta-da, I can now >finally open< SpywareBlaster w/out DRW av giving me a window with only choices of Terminate or Shutdown (SpywareBlaster).

Best, SG1 (Pat)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Sorry to hear you have had no success.
    A possibility, but protection would then be compromised.
    There are no big changes in SpiderGuard. The fancy-color shots are only seen if you have XP. But it would appear from your experience that the 'Pause' option in SG is only in NT systems, which seems strange to me! Can other Win 98/Me users confirm this?
    Dr Web support can be very patchy at times and they are not very good in correcting false positives. I would suggest you contact Boris Sharov, the CEO at Dr Web directly at B.Sharov@drweb.com. Include the facts of your problems and state that so far you have not had a very satisfactory response to your queries.

He is a very friendly chap, whose English is excellent. In fact we have been in contact only yesterday concerning false positives and he put me onto the v4.32 release.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Bellgamin has confirmed that there is indeed no Pause function for SG in Win 95/98/Me systems. About time we XP users had some extra functions, but I still want your spider-netting :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.