Dropbox and Truecrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by FileShredder, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FileShredder

FileShredder Registered Member

I want to have both the convenience of Dropbox and the security of Truecrypt.

Say I create Container X.tc and then put it in my Dropbox folder. I can now access Container X from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. But I want to routinely change information inside the container, keep it secure, and have the updated changes from anywhere in the world. So I mount Container X and put Grandmas Secret Cookie Receipe.doc into the container and then dismount it. I un-check "'Preserve modification time stamp of file containers". How safe is my data in the following scenarios:

1) My Dropbox account is hacked and the attacker gains access to all my files stored on Dropbox.

2) Someone gets access to Container X when it is unmounted on two separate occasions. The contents HAVE been modified in the time period between. I remember the Truecrypt warnings saying about if an attacker has two versions it makes decryption easier but I can't remember what for.

For arguments sake assume the following:

1) Truecrypt isn't breakable
    2) A perfectly random 64 character password is used
    3) Physical security is perfect i.e a FDE harddrive inside Fort Knox (Ok so thats stupid but I just want to make clear I'm only concerned in knowing about the web based vulnerabilities of this).
    TLDR: I want the convenience of Dropbox but want to have the safety level

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.