Drop your price why so much

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dread, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boarchild

Boarchild Registered Member

You have to take into consideration that all scareware, trojans and viruses mutate on a daily basis. Just because the application installed looks the same as the previous one, does not mean it's footprint or even heuristic detection looks the same. All antivirus products suffer from this, and do their best to update detections for all new variants of such malware.

Antivirus 2010 in april, does not even remotely resemble antivirus 2010 that emerged in december last year when you look at the files, or the downloaders for them.

It's just like halloween, the same kids come around each year, but you don't recognize them because they have changed their costumes, cut their hair, grown up etc. Even malware evolves.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Let me correct this statement a bit ;) Antivirus 2010 on April 1 at 0:00 AM most likely won't resemble much antivirus 2010 that will emerge on April 1 at 0:10 AM or even sooner.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's a check box "Start email client antispam protection automatically" in v. 4.2, did you actually untick it?

4. Boarchild

Boarchild Registered Member

Picky picky ;^) But completely true... and, that is the root of the problem..

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Registered Member

actually, err... yes I did. All 3 infact; "Enable antispam protection" "Enable email client antispam protection" and "Start email client antispam protection automatically". Several times, Several reboots, one re-install, then I gave up and went to bed.

Strangely enough, one of the computers still gives the profiles problem but at least has rememberd to leave the antispam disabled now. Other one... naw... still playing silly beggers.

Thanks for the thought though.

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Registered Member

remove, manual registry cleanup,and a another re-install later and the good news is that the config now seems to be remembering what I set.

All I can think that may be a little off center was I used a backup from the previous v4.0 on Windows 7 RTM 32 bit before I wiped the computers to clean install W7 retail... other than that long shot I can't be bothered trying to work it out.

Still got the profiles problem though as does a lot of others by the looks. Watch this space I guess.

7. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

Nodrog, i brought up your problems in my thread on Jan 17th!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=261242

But it fell on deaf ears, alls i got from the moderators was the same as you, the problem wasn't happening on their machines so it appeared they wern't that interested in getting to the route of the problem!

The latest build finally got this sorted for me.

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Registered Member

Hi Surfer1000, missed that one, sorry.

Looks like your thread was equally beneficial. I was getting this problem with the current 4.2.35 release but it seemed to go away after a few days... wierd!

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.