Drones are now being trained to spot violent people in crowds

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by guest, Jun 6, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Drones are now being trained to spot violent people in crowds
    We're that much closer to living in Minority Report.
    June 6, 2018
    https://www.cnet.com/news/ai-drones-are-being-trained-to-spot-violence-from-the-sky/
    Research paper: "Eye in the Sky: Real-time Drone Surveillance System (DSS) for Violent Individuals Identification using ScatterNet Hybrid Deep Learning Network"
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1806.00746.pdf

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

As much as I hate the idea of living in a panopticon, I'm finding it hard to argue the right to privacy while attacking someone. Maybe while defending, but why would victims want that?

But like it or not, it's where we're headed.

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

In some countries unfortunately right to self-defense is stupidly formulated and you can use excessive force (maybe there is better phrase for that) even against clear and present danger. You can be charged, because you used force not proportional to threat i.e. two big guys attack one small guy, but small guy has a some weapon (baseball, knife, doesn't matter). If small guy would kill in self-defense, he is unfortunately going to be prosecuted and most likely jailed in my country. Actually he must not would them too much... Small guy can be even inside his own house defending against intrusion, it doesn't matter. This law don't understand that small guy most likely don't have ability to defend himself against this two big guys just with bare hands.

I am curious what would that AI report against group of people dancing pogo at metal festivals or "wall of death".

~ Off Topic Video Removed ~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2018
  4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Exactly the opposite here. If a "bad guy" breaks into my home I grab my shotgun, handgun, or AR15. If "I" decide my life is in danger at that moment, NO charges by law can be brought against me, including civil charges. There would only be an exception if I was extremely off base in my decision. Pray to my creator that I will never have to use one of my weapons to defend my family.

5. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

This is not an issue for me, yet. If the camera only scores the behavior and it is a human police officer that ultimately makes the decision to take action, it is just an improvement in response time and efficiency. However, the eventual concern is that the camera flags my behavior, recognizes my face and places me on an automated watch list. Or, worse, an automated arrest warrant is issued and I am now in a position of being presumed guilty till proven innocent.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@Palancar - Same where I am. My neighbors are also armed, and paranoid about strangers :) They let me know if they see someone around who they don't recognize.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.