Driver update scans

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by axial, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

Just came across a tool called DriverAgent which does a scan of system drivers.

Are there other tools that offer similar scans? Any comments one way or another on their efficacy?

2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

RadarSync 2009 is supposed to be good, but it needs you to first have microsoft .NET framework installed on your pc (comes automaticly installed with Vista). I did not test it as I don't have anough need for that dotnet thingie to go and install it on my xp system...

Here are 2 reviews of it:
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/reviews/13804.aspx
    http://freewarewiki.com/ClifNotesNewsletter081102#RadarSync2009doyourdriversneedupdated

NB: please take noted that, when installing the free version,
    "The end user should watch for the options of RadarSync toolbar, homepage redirection to Netvibes and a Weather Channel Desktop installation. Users can elect to install these features if they wish."

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  3. axial

axial Registered Member

Thank you for the link to RadarSync, that also looks very promising.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'd be very careful using these type of services.

I tested RadarSync earlier, and it told me my Realtek device wasn't up to date when it is. Another update required was for Thunderbird, the email client. Just for the hell of it, I tested the download. The installation screens turned out to be in a language other than English.

6. axial

axial Registered Member

That's a good warning, Tony, thank you. I too wouldn't have trusted the download links offered, but rather have gone out to verify and then collect the driver independently -- at least until the app had proven itself accurate several times over. I was thinking of the usefulness being more for creating an "easy reference checklist" of drivers and their current versions on a given system.

<showing my age> ISTR there was a Norton-type tool that did this, years ago, but it finally disappeared, probably under the weight of maintaining such a large database of changing targets.

7. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Chris Pirillo on RadarSync: 'Here's something every Windows user will appreciate. It's THAT simple- and yeah- it really works well ... I'm happy this exists'.

# Search for drivers on the site of manufacturer ( nVidia etc.).

# Look to Computer Management/Device Manager/System Devices/ (... click also on Display/Show hidden devices ) ; if you have yellow point on hidden devices. On my computer: Serial is it with yellow point; I don't touch ...
    ... and I'm still alive!:argh:

still alive PROROOTECT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.