DriveCrypt 3.03

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Proxo Man, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proxo Man

Proxo Man Guest

Does anyone here use drivecrypt? I have looked and might be missing it easily but is there a way to have a encrypte partition or container decrypt on start up and encrypt on shut down? I realize i would need to use the time out security feature at something like 10 minutes or so but I sure would like to keep more programs in there and have them available without having to decrypt with the passphrase on start up.

Is drivecrypt a good on the fly encryption program? I tried it a few months back and it was crashing and doing strange things. But I read many places where they fixed it up and was very stable. I've had it about a month and use it alot. I really like it, but is there something better? You know, just always looking. But after paying for this, I really have been impressed but would like to have the feature i just asked about. I wrote drivecrypt and they haven't responded yet. Sometimes they respond in 10 minutes, but sometimes it is a few days. They are always friendly though and try to be helpful. Any drivecrypt users here that could help on this one question?

Your forum is great! It is very good for newbies and kind of newbies and even pros can get some good advice here I think. Some people take the time to explain things really well and I like that. How long has this site been here? I have visited on ocassion for aabout 4 months. Thank you.
    By the by, I used Proxo Man as a user name because I feel girls aren't taken very seriously about this subject. That's why I like the posts from Jan and Jooske. Any other ladies that I just don't know are ladies by the name?
    This is a great forum.
    melissa
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
    Yes, I got the bug from my English instructor last year, Eric Howes, who knows a WHOLE lot about all this and likes your forum too! :)

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Welcome, Melissa!

I'll leave the drivecrypt issue up to others to have a go at ;).

As for:

Thanks for the compliment. Be assured anyone can get sound advice over here ;).

So do we!

Well, we have been switching domains and board software some times. You'll find our "first" board over on the "ye old archive" forum.

That's a mistake - overall, and especially over on this board.
    No difference here between sexes :cool:.

We all do. Don't know how Jan feels about it - but I'm pretty sure he's male ;).

Quite a few female members around; it's up to them to introduce themselves. Why not open a "any females around?" thread in Ten Forward?

Thanks once more.

Ah..Eric. Very nice guy - and surely does know his stuff!

regards.

paul

3. I get a hello from the big guy himself? I wasn't expecting that! Thank you very much!

I am so embarrassed about finding out Jan is a male. I should explain because I think he is from somewhere other than the United States, which is one reason I like this place. I like the different ways of looking at things that so many have from other countries. Anyway, Jan I am sorry but in America most Jans are females and I guess I just assumed so wrong :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

See why it's good to get a global perspective on things? There are so many students here that think if it's not in America it doesn't exist. Ooooooh that makes me so mad! So many people here are arrogant and don't EVEN know about the rest of the world. I belong to the Green Party if that tells you anything :eek: oh my gosh, my parents think I should just up and move to Cuba!

I'm sorry Jan. I'm still open to anyone willing to share any Drivecrypt info with me.

Gosh. First time I get on here and I am humiliated. How Yucky.

Melissa

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Melissa,

Welcome !

No problem about my name and being male. ;)
    I fully understand it, no need to apologize !
    Please don't feel embarrassed, you were not the first one and most probably not the last one to make that little mistake :D
    You know, I have been two times in the US on holiday (had a really wonderful time !), and I myself was surprised at that time that my name is used in your country mostly for girls while it is here in Europe (at least here in The Netherlands, and some other countries as well) mostly used for boys.
    So, we all learn from each other.
    If I would have been born in the US, my name would have been most probably John.

Cheers, Jan.

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Jan! Hope all is well in your little corner of the world and this finds you happy and well. :)

Melissa,

As I told you in a post in ten-forward, I am glad to see you here! You really will have a lot to offer as well as learning a lot.

You hit the nail on the head with DriveCrypt, when it first came out there were problems. Especially when they released their XP version, but they all had their share of problems. I think it was a tight schedule attempting to be met after Shaun decided to go commercial, leave ScramDisk behind and start DriveCrypt.

You are also right-on about the stability of the program now. At least 3.03a is doing very well on my 98se box. I don't know where you stand on the whole XP thing, but I was kinda forced to use it at work and I purchased the DriveCrypt Plus Pack (known as DCPP). I have LOVED it. If you are not familiar with it, you might check it out at:
    http://www.drivecrypt.com/dcplus.html
    Basically, it is a full disk encryption program and does exactly what you asked about with regular DriveCrypt in your post. Unfortunately, it's only available for XP - so I can only use it at work. (With a USB encryption token! - It's great.)

No, you can't do as you want to do with basic DriveCrypt. At least not in any way that I know of. Maybe somebody else here knows a way, but I can't think of how it could be done since it does not store your passphrase. The neat feature I like though is the ability to use a disk with your passphrase acting as a physical key -- complete defeat of keyloggers.

Good to hear from you!

John
    Luv2BSecure

6. Proxo Lady

Proxo Lady Guest

Hi John!!!

I really didn't think I could but thought there might be some way that was just hidden. Thanks for the reply. I do know about DriveCrypt Plus Pack and if I had XP I would save and save and save and get it. It's expensive!

I saw in another post where you are writing a GnomeTome! You are the perfect person to write it and I will definitely buy it when it's out. I subscribe to the Lockergnome Windows Daily newsletter and it's one of the best for finding new software. Chris Pirillo does a great job with that whole thing. I have thought of trying one of the other newsletters and why not since they are free?

Thanks for the DriveCrypt scoop. Does anyone know if you can do that with any other OTF encryption package? BestCrypt maybe? I don't plan on doing XP anytime soon for DCPP and would really like to be able to decrypt at sign on and have the drive immediately available and then encrypt at sign off.

As always, thank you for helping. I was at school and just browsed all over this site and was very impressed with the knowledge here. This is not one of those forums where you join and nobody responds to posts. Action oriented! Great site.

MELISSA
    University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Melissa,
    big welcome from me too here!
    Don't know about DriveCrypt, but i see others help you with that already.

Can asure you, a lot is changing in general in the computer and internet world re male-female. In the age categories above 44 years there are more women per agegroup, and generally spoken they are getting rather knowledgeable and being taken rather serious in the security areas asw well. Maybe in the computer environment as a whole and most certainly in this forum there is a very good balance between male-female and both can contribute and fill each others gaps in a healthy way. Like the left and right brain thinking completing a whole :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.