DriveCleanser-Is the Data Destroyed????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMitch, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

I ran the Acronis DriveCleanser (U.S. DoD Standard) and got the data destroyed complete message. To verify I checked the disk and I don't know what to look for.

Sector 1 thru 10 had "00 00 00" but after that it looked like "3F C2 BA C5" and so on.
    So, how can I tell if my data on drive is destoyed...do I just assume if I ran the US DoD Standard that my data is wiped out?

After running the (US DoD Standard) I decided run the disk thru one more clean. This time I used the (Fast) method. When I verified the disk every sector had "00 00 00 00"

So, does the U.S. DoD standard not look like zeros or ones?

What's the better method to destroying data...DriveCleanser or File Shredder?

I have to return my old HD to Dell so I would really appreciate someone to help me feel confident about sending it. Thanks!

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Wow, what kind of data did you have on there for you to be so thorough its gone? :p Was the data what I think it was? :p

And file shredder is especially uselful for existing files to be destroyed. Whereas Drivecleaner does the whole hard drive.

If you chose the US DOD standard, then you can feel good about that. HOWEVER, realise this..... The ONLY 100% SECURE WAY to totally delete all data from a HDD is to torch it and melt the platters.

3. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Thanks TruthSeeker!! :thumb:

Thought i never would get an answer!!

I have client data on it and want to make certain that it's erased.

Why doesn't the disk show zeros or ones after the US DoD Standard... I thought thats what it was supposed to look like? Just wondering

4. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Because it does a sweep of zeros but then it also does a sweep of random characters. That's why you see what you see, but it's not your original data, it's random characters generated at random.

If you chose US DOD standard, you can be sure the data is gone. Not 100% certain, but 95% certain :) The only way to be 100% certain is to destroy the HDD in a fire hot enough to melt the platters :)

Read this for more:

http://www.news.com/Skeletons-on-your-hard-drive/2100-1029_3-5676995.html

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.