Drive Snapshot bootable media!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ams963, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I've contacted the Support and I think I've annoyed them enough with my ignorance to get a reply saying 'Please consider buying a different product. To my opinion Snapshot doesn't seem to be right product for you.'

Without a bootable cd/dvd I cannot restore a system image.

I have bought a blank DVD-RW of 4.7 GB. The Support said, 'I have sent already a downlink link for a bootable CD ISO image. Here
    again: http://www.drivesnapshot.de/download/snapboot.iso'

Please guide me on how to make that blank DVD a bootable cd so I can restore a system image.

The system in question is Windows XP SP3 32 bit.

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

2. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Do you have access to any WinPE CD, like from another imaging vendor? I am not familiar with what they sent you but will take a look.

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Just put snapshot.exe which is 288KB on any WinPE DVD, CD, USB or bootmenu. After booting into your WinPE, then run snapshot.exe from explorer.exe

Best regards,

KOR!

4. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Is your system non-bootable? Well, you can install XP and then restore your system image.

You know that you can restore system image with DS from Windows, without bootable CD?

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

No I do not have access to any WInPE CD. :(

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I do not have WInPE DVD. It would take some time to download WAIK as my connection is slow. What can I do with the resources I have as I've mentioned in post 1?

7. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hi Iron Man,

You need to download that iso file (snapshot.iso) and burn it onto an optical disk. While you can use your DVD-RW disk, that iso will easily fit onto an inexpensive CD-R blank disk.

Do you have any iso-burning software? If not, I would suggest the free Imgburn. While any of the download mirrors on that web-page will work, the most straight-forward one to use is Mirror 7 - just click on it.

When the download is completed, run the downloaded exe file to install the Imgburn. Then run Imgburn to select and burn snapshot.iso. Imgburn is pretty intuitive, but here are the simple steps:

1. Run ImgBurn.
    2. Switch to 'Write' mode.
    3. Insert Disc in Burner.
    4. Select Image to burn.
    5. Click 'Write' button.

That's it, when disk is finished writing you're good to go!

TS

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh thank you my friend. This is exactly what I've wanted- utilizing what I already have. :)

After burning the iso file to the DVD-RW what should I do next? I am asking in advance as I will try to perform this tonight and you may not be available at that time here so I do not want to get stuck. :)

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

By Image you mean the iso file right?

10. The Shadow

Correct.

11. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, since it's xp you can build a Bart PE disk.No need for the WAIK.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

12. aladdin

True BartPE is Windows Vista and WAIK is Windows 7.

13. aladdin

Excellent suggestion!

However, every time a new version comes out, he needs to burn a new DVD. Newer versions are monthly thing!

Best regards,

KOR!

14. The Shadow

You're welcome for whatever help I provided in burning that iso file, but be aware that the resulting CD/DVD is the DS DOS backup/restore program. The instructions on how to use that to restore a snapshot can be found here.

15. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Hi KOR,

Not really. The DOS program sees very few changes, especially considering that Iron Man is running Win XP. The real issue he will have to come to grips with is learning to use DOS commands, which can be a real struggle for the unintiated. It would be best for Iron Man to download the BartPE (link above) or UBCD4Win, which is (imho) an even easier way to create a free bootable Windows environment.

Scott

16. The Shadow

Iron Man,

By now you probably see the only drawback of Drive Snapshot, having to create an easy-to-use rescue boot disk. Otherwise, it is a terrific program!

If you haven't yet purchased DS, I would suggest that you consider purchasing IFW instead. IFW includes a copy of Image for DOS and Image for Linux, both of which have a GUI version (which DS lacks), making them very easy-to-use!

TS

17. Scott W

Iron Man, although I hold DS in the highest regard, for the very reason cited by The Shadow I would be the first to say that DS is not for novices.

Scott

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I am just trialing Drive Snapshot to see if it works to my convenience. But I think I'll leave this one.

Well back to Keriver restore free I guess. :)

I'll try out Image for Windows since you guys are recommending it but I am tired and will give the trial version a go after a few days.

I think I'm done here. Thanks a lot everyone. Phew what a hard work. :isay:

19. Pliskin

I disagree. Drive Snapshot is very easy to use and it can restore system partition from Windows without bootable CD.

And if he is trialing DS on his computer than what's the problem? He just needs to select system partition and DS will ask him to reboot (during boot time it will restore his backup).

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Really? That's great news. :)

But the Support of Drive Snapshot says I cannot restore system image without a bootable media. Also here is says, 'Obviously, a disk image program would be of little value without a restore.
    Snapshot does restore disk images, but has some limitations. However, these are the same limitations that apply to FORMAT and CHKDSK, which result from the fact that WinNT won't allow access to open files.
    So most important, the system drive and all drives with a PAGEFILE cannot be restored while WinNT is running.

To restore a System Volume you have to use DOS restore.

All other volumes can be restored from WinNT. See some Screenshots of a restore operation.'

21. Pliskin

They need to update that page. It says "last modified 03 May 06".

22. Scott W

Pliskin,

No arguement that DS is easy to use from within Windows, the problem for novices is that DS does not provide an easy-to-use boot recovery disk.

Sure you can initiate a recovery from inside DS when running Windows IF you are able to get into Windows!!! If you can't (e.g., system corruption or disk-crash), you will need a boot recovery disk. Therein lies the issue (for novices)...

Scott

23. Pliskin

Never happened to me. And if it happens I can install Windows again (30mins - no need for drivers) and restore the DS backup.

EDIT: Ok, I guess novices don't know how to install Windows.

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. Thanks for the info. But the Support Team should have been updated in this matter right? They also said I needed a bootable medium to restore an image of my system.

Anyways, now that my confusions are clear thx to you, I'll continue my trial of Snapshot.

Then I'll try out Image for Windows to see how that works and the easy bootable system for novice uses like me that the other guys are talking about.

Then I'll decide which one I'll go for. :)

25. The Shadow

Iron Man,

Scott's post #22 is right on the mark. Although Pliskin hasn't experienced system corruption or a hard disk crash, sh*t happens! Image-backup is your last resort for disaster recovery. And if anyone feels that reinstalling Windows is a means of disaster recovery, more power to them!

TS

PS. If you decide to buy IFW, you can get a 15% discount at BitsDuJour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.