drive letter problem when restoring

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gtrennert, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtrennert

gtrennert Registered Member

hello - I'm using true image 9 since some weeks - its great and i could already restore some backups without any problem.

Now I was re-installing my PC
    but I had a problem when re-installing windows - the system went on e: !

I have 2 disks :
    In windows XP, disk manager I see
    DISK1 :
    E: (system)
    C: sys2
    G: sys3
    H: sysdata
    DISK2 :
    D: satadata
    F: 4

Then - step by step - I backed up the system partition E:
    Now I would like to restore the last image - In the windows interface there is no problem : TI askes me where to restore and I select E:
    But then I have to choose the option to make TI reboot
    TI reboots and runs the boot interface. Now TI seems to re-arrange the drive letters and the partitions :

when I have to choose the archive I see this :
    C: sys2
    D: sys3
    E: sysdata : here's my archive
    F: satadata
    G: Local Disk
    H: 4
    I: CD

Now I have to show TI where I want to restore the archive :

DISK1
    C: Pri,Act sys2
    D: Pri sys3
    E: Pri sysdata : here's my archive
    G: NTFS
    DISK2
    F: Pri satadata
    H: 4

I have to choose G: , then tell that this is Active Partition,
    but I can't tell TI later that this has to become E: - I only can get letters from G on !

How can I resolve this problem ?

2. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello gtrennert,

This is from User's Guide:

Be careful! Disk letters in standalone Acronis True Image might sometimes differ from the way Windows identifies drives. For example, the D: drive identified in the standalone Acronis True Image might correspond to the E: drive in Windows.

Also use search, you will find this (by Acronis):

Please note that when you restore the system partition or if you restore from Acronis bootable rescue CD, Acronis True Image boots your computer in Linux environment which can display drive letters different from those you see in Windows because Linux has its own rules of drive naming. This is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry about the difference in drive letters assignment.

You probably have the old build 2337 or lower. You can check it in Help->About menu. In the newer build you do not need to go through all the steps of restore wizards once agian. Get a new build. The latest is 3677 for now. You can get the latest build here. Register your serial number first.

_Kento_

3. gtrennert

gtrennert Registered Member

Nice - I will download and see !

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

gtrennert,
    Assign unique names to your hard drive to help you distinguish the drive by their names--not their drive letters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.