Drive Image of Eaz Fix? Any experiences

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Does Drive Snapshot back up the MBR and all EF snapshots? I assume as per the others this is also only possible from the supplied DOS boot disk? From what I can gather, it does sector by sector imaging directly from Windows complete with MBR backup?

Also, when using Sector by Sector imaging, if the source drive has say 150gb used (from a 200gb drive), does the destination drive also need 150gb or 200gb spare, or is the image still compressed as with a normal backup?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. appster

appster Registered Member

Yes. You must bootup in DOS or in a 'PE' environment (my preference). Then you can run DS from anywhere (selecting Maintenance Mode) and it will backup all EF/RB snapshots and the entire MBR. ;)

DS always attempts to compress the image it creates so the resulting image is usually quite a bit smaller than the source (how much smaller depends on how compressible the source files are)!

3. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Thanks appster. I notice however that there is a "Maintenance Mode" under advanced options in Windows (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/advbac.htm)...

"This saves each and every cluster on the disk, ignoring the free space information.

This has its use if you are trying some 'Data Recovery' Tool to recover some data from a damaged disk, but want to be able to restore the original state in case the 'recovery' fails. "

Is this not the same thing?

4. appster

appster Registered Member

Actually, I never ran Maint Mode from within WinXP because other users here have tried that (markymoo and nexstar I believe) and reported that DS did not do the job when run from within WinXP, even when using Maint Mode... While I don't know for certain why that is, I suspect it has to do with faithfully imagng the EF/RB modified MBR.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.