DreamLinux forums closing

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:(
    That is interesting and sad.
    I hope those who have gone missing are OK.
    I really liked Dream: polished release, lots of style, seemed to be a god dev group and nice community, worked well here.
    Felt like Dream was in for the long haul..
    Have been waiting for a new version which I had thought was otw.
    I am pretty sure I had an e-mail recently re new betas .

This was one of my standouts from days of d-hopping.

I wasn't the only one who liked it :)
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dreamlinux-1.html
    Still no 24 with a bullet at DW. !!

With any luck the "Brazilians" are just on a long break, I hope they come roaring back or at least give some updates.
    :(

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. quintile

quintile Registered Member

That's a shame, DL worked really well on my cantankerous puter..
    I like the way it looked...most everything!

Strange that the whole dev team seems to have 'disappeared'
    I can see where running the forum without them would be more
    like a nightmare than a Dream...still, don't think I'll be doing Tota(linux)

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It isn't strange to me (and no, the following statement isn't a Linux bash), it seems to happen all the time in the Linux world. Distros come and go like the Sun and Moon. DreamLinux was a nice distro, it was one of only three distros (the others being Ubuntu and SUSE) that "just worked" for me. It's a sad thing to say, but, I no longer advise to "try out" the plethora of choices among distros, but to stay with the "main players".

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

6. Longboard

:)
    Things can change fast:
    From nelsongs
    http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,6489.msg42865.html#msg42865

That seems like good news. :cool:
    Might sling a few $$ in that direction: seems absurd that the forum could close for want of $80

It's a timely reminder of how 'support and dev fatigue' can interrupt the flow for smaller distros, and how a few $$ might make a difference
    ( I suspect the -eh- communication issues may have played a part ??)
    Good to see there is a future for DL.

7. djsroknrol

djsroknrol Registered Member

Hello folks;

I wanted to introduce myself; I am the new Admin at Dreamlinux forums. The crisis over there has had a far reaching effect on the community; it wasn't for the lack of money as it was someone to run it. I wanted to let everyone know that after a last minute reprieve from the members and the devs, the forum will continue without interruption.

I invite all friends and users of Dreamlinux to come and visit us again at dreamlinuxforums.org

8. quintile

quintile Registered Member

Hello djsroknrol!!

Welcome to Wilders!

Glad everything got straightened out with the DL forum.
    I lurked there mostly, because I never really had a problem with DreamLinux. :cool:

I hope all involved are doing better and will also think about communicating
    the needs of the forum and/or the developers!
    We can't help if we don't know! :)

9. djsroknrol

Thanks quintile...

I'm always on the lookout for info on security and you guys have the best forum around, bar none...thanks for having me as a member.

10. Longboard

:thumb:
    Good to see you here ,...and everywhere :D , updating current status
    :thumb: :thumb:

Looking forward to continuing development of your very nice distro.
    Glad that nelsongs and the team are back on track.

I wanted to post at the forums, seems my user name was deleted :oops: from lack of activity.
    Have tried to reregister....

11. djsroknrol

Longboard;

Thanks for the kind words. richs-lhx is a longtime friend and will be a hard act to follow...I insisted he remain as a Administrator emeritus when he has time (he's a great spam hunter ;) )

Rich was in the middle of archiving the forum and deleted many members who haven't posted in a while. Please stop by and re-register when you have a chance; I'll be looking for your registration and will expedite it for you.

Bob

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

For once, I am glad that one of my posts was proven to be wrong.

13. richslxh

richslxh Registered Member

Hi everybody, I am the ex admin of DLF and just wanted to quickly comment. I set the forums up 2 years ago with the other guys from LxH because I used Dreamlinux and they didn't have a forum. I later went on to form part of the dev team as well. In the last 6 months or so there was little or no contact with the dev team, and things slowed down a lot. So as the host was due to be paid for another year, I decided to announce that I would stand down and offer the forum up for somebody else. The $80 wasn't the point or the problem, it was for a distro which we were very uncertain as to whether it would continue.

Luckily the threat of closing the forums got the devs back in contact a bit sharpish.

I still stood down as Admin and my very good friend djsroknrol offered to step in and take over. There are a group of us who all take part in various linux related projects, and I will probably still help out with DL development as well as stay on as staff at DLF. I just got to a point where I had too much on the go, as well as work and family.

So there we have it, DL4 will be released this year and the forums continue.

rich

14. djsroknrol

Hiya Rich....I didn't know you were a member here :D Just when you think it's safe to go in the water again...LOL.

Nice to see you here as well....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.