Dreamlinux 3.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Beavenburt, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I've been running this for a few days now and, excuse the pun, it's running like a dream. The XFCE desktop is very light and snappy. I've had a dabble with Ubuntu, Mandriva and PCLOS and this really is the most stable on my system so far. My only gripe would be with Iceweasel. I had to mess around with about:config to get a few things working correctly.
    Anyone else tried DL and what are your thoughts?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It looks interesting. Maybe I'll burn it to cd and try it out later. I've only briefly test driven PCLOS and SimplyMepis, both of which I really liked, especially SimplyMepis, and I wanted to install it to h/disk but I couldn't; it froze part ways through the install on two consecutive attempts. I was going to retain my /Home partition from Ubuntu.

What I really want to try to avoid doing is distro hopping all over the place, preferring instead to settle on something that looks to have good backing with active, on-going development. Ubuntu seems the best to me in this regard, and I like its founder, Mark Shuttleworth. The latest LTS release is working very well for me. Still, it is hard to resist test driving some of the many distros out there :)

3. L815

L815 Guest

When I tried it, I had issues with the laptop resolution. So far, the only distro my res doesn't work right.

4. Beavenburt

I was trying not to fall into the distro hopping trap but I just couldn't help myself. The trouble I have now is Dreamlinux feels like a keeper but I know because I have a new found love for the Xfce desktop i'll end playing with Xubuntu and the like.

5. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Not switched on my home laptop for a month :blink:

But when I do it will still have Dreamlinux sitting there waiting for me along with Wolvix.

I've tried quite a number of distro's over the last few months and Dreamlinux has proved my favourite.

Easy install. Easy use. Great to look at.

No more distro hopping for me...... I hope :)

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Dream 3.1 was good for me
    Xubuntu: nice
    Cant shift me off PCLOS really as primary now.

currently have installed PCLOS Mini Me: 'the bare bones' PCLOS for browsing and fooling around.(and tweaked as well as I can: pick and choose what to install after really minimal HD install: synaptic: what a tool !!)

:) You're not alone there :)
    Wolvix, Vector (standard) , Zenwalk, : check em out: Slack and XFCE = quick
    SAM Linux is PCLOS with xfce
    http://www.sam-linux.org/
    Review: http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/14581
    tbh I had some issues with SAm in a VM, cant recall but something teed me off, something that wasn't easy to fix, for me anyway.

If you havent found it yet: http://www.dedoimedo.com/
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computer_software.html
    A righteous source of many linuxy things :) :)

Get the new Virtual box: test test test play play play :D
    google "sourceforge perfect desktop"

hhmm..Fedora9 released..must have a look ...

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  7. Beavenburt

HaHa you're very excitable:D There's so many distros to try but so little time. I'm itching to try Mint at the moment. Time to set up another VM I reckon.
    Yes I know all about Mrkvonic' site, it's very informative.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have tried Dream and Mint also, both are pretty nice, and user friendly in general. After distro hopping for a long time, I have settled on just a few favorites, Ubuntu, SuSE, Fedora and PCLOS. Ubuntu is probabaly my #1 choice right now. But that's the great part of Linux, there are so many to sample and choose from, it's a lot of fun. :)

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Theres an extraordinary amount of choice just within ubuntu itself, i've lost count of them all.
    Being a linux newb i've been trying to just stick with ubuntu to help me learn but with all these new distros popping up i just can't help trying them out lol.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:) :)
    According to the fedora-istas ; "always the latest and greatest"
    Fedora 9 released; http://fedoraproject.org/

Found this nice install/tutorial: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html
    Nice site there, some good links
    I am impressed with the amount of useful documentation, fixes, app install guides etc around for Fedora.
    I might have a go, see if I can work with YUM ;)

@Farmerlee: how goes the Solaris ?

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I like Ubuntu as a Live CD.
    I prefer Debian testing, IMHO best blend of stability/bleeding edge/security/tweakability/support available for a desktop machine for non-newb use.
    I am a sucker for Gnome (I always liked the Win2k desktop best in windows and Gnome seems a more modern version), but XFCE is impressive in the amount of features it packs in and still remain resource efficent and will probably run debian + XFCE when I get an Asus EEE for my wife later in the year.

YUM is fine to use (I have a web server running a red-hat blend distro, planing to move to Debian stable).

12. farmerlee

Thanks for the update, i'm actually using fedora 8 on my other system at the moment so i'll definitely have to check out v9.

I had a few troubles getting open solaris working inside virtualbox but after ironing some bugs out i've managed to get it up and running. I haven't had much time to play with it yet but i've read that it has a new filesystem which is supposed to quite good as well as built in rollback and virtualisation features which i'm hoping to test out. From what little i have used it, it is looking quite promising.

13. Beavenburt

I think distro hopping is inevitable to be honest. There's just so much choice. Also, one needs to find a setup that works with their system. For instance, it's took me four distros just to realise that XFCE runs the best on my old machine. It is good fun though. I liken it to messing around with different software in Windows. I could never keep a setup for long, had to always try the latest and greatest (*free) software.

14. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Hard to beat PCLOS and if I manage to solve the only problem I had with it, I'll install again when the 2008 version (this month sometime?) becomes available.

In the meantime, DreamLinux 3 sounds interesting and I'll give the Live CD a go at the weekend if I have the time.

15. Beavenburt

The liveCD ran lightening quick on my machine. I think I decided to install after a minute, I was sold straight away. No regrets so far.
    DL does have it's little quirks just like any other distro but, it's nothing I can't handle, even as a Linux noob. I don't think there's a distro out there that doesn't need the odd tweak here and there after install.
    I know it may not run as well on others machines but I highly recommend it based on my experiences with it so far.

16. L815

L815 Guest

Distro hopping for me is like a disease. I feel good one minute, horrible the next, eventually I sit comfortably on my Windows. Still love linux :D

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I still like my XP too, but distro hopping has taken the place of app hopping for me..

18. L815

L815 Guest

App hopping is a bit less troublesome because I don't have to restart or anything. Also less tear on the HDD.

19. farmerlee

Virtualised distro hopping is no trouble and far easier. Hdd wear and tear could be an issue so i just thrash a cheap external hard drive instead.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't really worry about HD thrashing or wear and tear. I have had these 3 WD HD's for about 7 years now, running 24/7, reformatting a million times and generally messing with things all the time, and to date, no problems whatsoever... Maybe I'm just lucky. One day something will probably crash and burn I'm sure.... :)

21. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Good idea that, I'll have to get a cheap external for the job.

22. farmerlee

I just use an old 160gig sata drive which i put in a cheap external case.
    Another advantage is your host system will run better when the guest is on a seperate hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.