Dr Web's Help File

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blackcat, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I reinstalled Dr Web on one of my machines after a gap of several weeks.

I was surprised to see that during the updating of the program a help file was apparently downloading for this AV. At last a proper Help-File for the good Doctor!

I can access the Help File from the Start>Program settings without any problems.

However, after selecting Help from the Scanner's main GUI, it then freezes with the message stating that it is 'Preparing the Help file for the first time'.

Any other Dr Web users seeing this problem/bug?

Attached Files:

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Here no problem whatsoever.........try installing again!

Good luck! ;) Putin

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

No problems here. ;)

tECHNODROME

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The help file is displaying fine here, glad to finally have it.. :cool:

5. Blackcat

Thanks guys,

After a repair and an update, I can access the file now from the Scanner's main Window ;)

Slow progress, but at least there is a Help-File now. It is still a bit rough around the edges. But at least it's a start.

Kaspersky obviously consider a good Help-section important, as even the one in the Prototype for KAV 6 Internet Security Suite looks very professional and is very detailed. Dr Web take note!

Next improvement? How about spider-netting in NT systems :D

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I'll second this suggestion, spider-netting would be a great addition.. :cool:

7. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

And on a somewhat related note because of the fact it's been another major cause of complaints: It appears that the renewal link on drweb.com has been updated and reflects a new procedure for license renewal, no?
    http://buy.drweb.com/renew/

Anyway, I'll be checking it out in a couple weeks as my license will be up for renewal then. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

8. Blackcat

But they always seem slow to react to needed changes.

For example it has taken well over a year to correct their license renewal discount link.

9. Technodrome

After having some problems I was able to renew my DrWeb License. :)

tECHNODROME

10. Blackcat

Glad to hear you are staying with Dr Web, Technodrome :cool:

Not many of us about now!

11. Technodrome

Me too. :)

Looks like there have been some improvements lately. Virus submission system is really fast and responds time is less then an hour (faster then KAV in my cases).

Have you tried additional beta spyware databases?

tECHNODROME

12. Blackcat

Not yet. I presume the numbers of spyware in the database are quite small at the present time?

Has the good Doctor caught any spyware on your machine(s)?

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For "correct" please read, "lower the price on." thus...
    I just checked THIS link, recently reported by Blackcat. It's still holding at $20 to renew DrWeb. I haven't tried using it yet because my license doesn't run out until July. I do hope the link lasts until then (or else something equal or better comes along).

By the way, using AdInf PRO ($25) together with DrWeb boosts protection by a significant amount, IMHO. AdInf is a superb integrity checker, by the DrWeb folks. It is reportedly very fast (per FanJ, as I recall). It interfaces beautifully with DrWeb, such that (if you wish) it will *command* DrWeb to only check those files where AdInf has detected an actual change. This tactic can greatly speed up AV scans, while still covering ALL the requisite bases.

Beyond what I've said, quiz me no questions -- I haven't budgeted the $25 to buy AdInf yet, but (BTGLW) I shall do so ASAP.

14. shorty1

Well, I for one am happy that after starting with a single spyware base that they decided to split the spyware base up in to two files, drwnasty.vdb and drwrisky.vdb. I haven't had any false positives running the beta bases but some of the risky definitions can be annoying.
    At present I only run the drwnasty base and it contains 2135 entries. I checked and the drwrisky.vdb base currently has 713 entries. It appears to me from my observations that the bases are updated once a week.

15. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I have found this on one of Digitalriver's stores, any ideas if it is worth it and if it can be renewed when the one year is up?
    It also does not say if it is compatible with Windows XP. Here is the link:

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/E...40418&doc_id=1&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

16. bellgamin

For 5 cents more, why not use the link Blackcat provided (see above)? The price there is $20 & it clearly states it works on WinXP. I'm pretty sure Blackcat said the link worked, but better ask him. If he doesn't show up here in a while, maybe you should PM him.

aloha from Hawaii......... bellgamin

17. Technodrome

68406(regular)/71254 (spyware,riskware etc)

No because my machine is 100% clean. :D :D
    Sadly but I can't say the same for my wife’s laptop. :'( :D

tECHNODROME

Attached Files:

18. Blackcat

I will type this slowly! Why should people be charged 30% more for a renewal of their license because incorrectly the full purchase price has been posted for the renewal link on their site.

Also see http://support.drweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=469.

Therefore as posted above, they have now lowered the renewal price to the correct one showing the 30% discount.

I have no problems with the price of Dr Web as an AV either with their original purchase price nor now, the correct renewal price.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  19. Blackcat

It's all this female retail therapy that attracts the spyware :D :D

20. bellgamin

Notice what DrWeb writes on their site...
    Notice they say, "discount" and not "correction." They now have discounted the price to ~$20.

By the way, I regard $20 as not being the correct price for renewing DRW. I decree that it should instead be $15. I also think that $29 is incorrect for F-prot. It should be corrected to $15. Etcetera etcetera... Ad nauseum ad infinitum

In any event, we now have at least 2 links for renewing DRW at ~$20, due in large part to BC's efforts. For that I applaud him.

21. Blackcat

This discounted price has been available for several years. I have successfully renewed my license several times for $20.

But some Dr Web users using the incorrect renewal link ( only just amended on their main site) have not been able to receive the correct discounted offer. Simple!

22. Technodrome

:D

tECHNODROME

23. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I know that the renewal price is 20 bucks but at this link that I posted above you can buy the full version for $21.95 if you don't have a previous version. :)

24. Blackcat

If this is the full version, then even more reason for those thinking of changing AV of considering Dr Web.

Good find, Nitrox ;)

25. shorty1

That link is seriously out of date! Against my better judgement, but I figured what the heck for 21.95, right? So I used it to purchase a new license for my laptop and what I got was version 4.20 with a base of 19755 circa 2000!
    Tried to use the license key with a new version of dr web.... no go. Various other attempts to make it work failed, also. Anyway, I've requested a refund from digital river, hopefully they will honor it. Told them they should either remove or update that page, too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.