Dr.Web users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Murderlove, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

Hey everyone,

After using and testing various Anti-Virus applications I had settled with NOD32. I had been using it for quite some. Mainly version 2.7. I also used Blackspears' settings to 'tighten' the security. Recently I tested version 3 also using Blackspears' settings. Three days ago I decided that I wanted to try a different anti-virus. So I downloaded Dr.Web 4.44. I did read before downloading that it is a 'less' user friendly application, so when installing it for the first time I expected the worse to happen. However nothing worse happened! I was extremely puzzled when I had installed it. With this I mean that I really felt left out. Coming from NOD32 whilst using Bleackspear settings I found out I couldn't configure that much in Dr.Web thus made me feel left out :argh: I was able to configure some stuff, but not nearly as much as with NOD32. I'm not saying that that is a bad thing though. On the contrary. I'm just saying that I always 'felt' the presence of NOD32 thus feeling 'safer' but don't have the same feeling with Dr.Web even though I know that it is a good product. But is it that goog at default settings?

I still have that same puzzled feeling after three days. I must say that I am no hardcore user so I am not testing products in extreme details. I know that you can change stuff in the .ini file. So my question to you Dr.Web users, is it quite 'normal' to 'feel' left out? And what extra settings can I add/change in the .ini file? So far I've only changed the Scan priority, set it to high, and the update schedule. I changed the time and that it does not show in the tray bar.

Thanks in advance.:D

2. risl

risl Registered Member

Well, I believe the whole point of Dr.Web is that you don't need to tweak it after installing, it is "optimized" by default. I also think it's their philosophy that users should not have to "feel the presence" of an av and it should not interfere with their normal work unless malware is detected.

The only thing I've configured differently, is that it will automatically go through delete -> if failed, block routine for "infected objects". Others are set to "report." I also have it check for updates every 3 hours instead of every hour. I have the mailguard disabled and scheduler icon taken off tray. Otherwise the defaults are how I would configure it anyway. You are not left out of anything with the defaults, that are recommended by Dr.Web experts.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  3. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

On demand scanning I have set all malware to be reported. Riskware, hacktools, and jokes are set to ignore by default, but since it is on-demand scanning it won't hurt!

Notice that Riskware is quite paranoid, it will even flag files that are not malware by their nature, but they are usually used by malware for evil purpose.
    Such a file is mIRC.exe for example, used by IRC bot viruses!

4. risl

risl Registered Member

I don't understand how it is "paranoid", if some program can be used for malicious purposes then it is .. riskware

5. Murderlove

Thanks for the information. I kinda thought that that would be their philosophy aswell. It's good to hear that the default settings are 'good.'

Thanks, I'll try these settings and see if I 'like' it. I assume that you have disabled the mailguard because you are not using a program like Outlook and Thunderbird right? But doesn't your protection decrease if you disable one of the 3 components?

Thanks, I have the same settings regarding on demand scanning.

Yes I noticed this aswell. I haven't installed mIRC, but do have the mIRC.exe on my disk, aswell as DivX installer. Both of the applications were listed as Adware/infected objects.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  6. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Well yes Riskware as a word stands correctly, I mean mIRC.exe is perfectly legitimate IN THE CASE you have installed it yourself, but If you haven't ever installed mIRC and you get a detection on mIRC.exe with an on-demand scan, voila, sth else has installed it and uses it, a virus!

So ok maybe not paranoid, I couldn't find another word, precautious I guess or sth like that, but you get the point :)

7. risl

risl Registered Member

Of course I knew what you meant but the detection is 100% proper, same applies for example to winVNC and so on.. :)

8. risl

risl Registered Member

I use thunderbird, but disabling mail guard doesn't decrease protection at all since every object executed or downloaded will be scanned by the realtime monitor. It is only a matter if you want the messages/attachments to your mailbox at all, which is of course "cool" that they are removed before you receive them. I just don't want any extra processes.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, nod32 has alot of settings and so do many others.

but the thing with drweb, is everyone gets the same protection, cuts out the excuses of 'wrong settings were used'

also, alot of products have a 'paranoid' setting that although may work well in testing, many users will not use so these settings offer a grey-protection, however, with drweb, this is not the case, everyone gets the same protection.

heuristics on/off - simple
    archives on/off - simple

etc

here is your helpful post.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197854

enjoy :argh:

10. Murderlove

Understood. I am not using Outlook, nor Thunderbird. I use Gmail, does the mail guard protect me the same way as if were to use outlook/thunderbird?

11. risl

risl Registered Member

Don't know, but gmail has server side virus scanning and probably spam blocking too. If the mail guard can't check gmail messages, for example because of encryption, your attachments would still be scanned by spider guard when downloaded.

12. Murderlove

Thank you. I will read it ASAP :D

13. Murderlove

Understood. I think I'll leave it on for now.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok good,

hope you like.

dont be too phased with the lack of options, it as enough, but obviously its weak compared to Nod32 etc, its supposed to be like that, user friendly instead of the tech-approach.

15. Murderlove

Yea I've read it through and applied the settings which you've posted. I just need some time to get used to the 'simplicity'. But I'm telling you.. I kinda like it :D :cool:

16. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Even the most liked av's such as kaspersky and f-secure lack features compared to norton/mcafee/trend micro. So configurability doesn't make an av great. I used to use dr web and i loved it for its lightness and speed. I would still be using it if i didn't get KIS free.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thats good to hear,

anymore questions, just ask.

with the next version due for public beta this autuum, it will extend is popularity all over, im sure.

enjoy it.

18. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have licenses to many AVs including Kaspersky, F-protect, Avira, Norton, Eset, etc. and I still keep coming back to Dr. Web. It offers silent, secure, and light protection that is simple and easy to use. All settings are factory with just a few options. In addition, results of zero day tests at Shawdowserver (forget the criticisms) show Dr. Web to be highly effective- as effective as Avira in most test lengths. It works the best on my laptop running XP Pro of any AV- that is why I like it and I have tested virtually all of them on my machine.

So Dr. Web users get a very good AV with a minimum of tech fuss to handle. :thumb:

19. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

CSJ,

I downloaded Dr. Web's CureIt 4.44 to see how compatible it is with
    the rest of my Apps. - runs well, but try as I might I cannot get it to
    update, for some reason I get a small M$ dialog saying something about
    IE has struck a problem or whatever but I don't strike that box re. anything else - then I thought maybe there are no
    updates with the Free version - Can you put me right re. this please ?

20. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

MICRO,
    Dr. Web's CureIt have not update function. You have to download it again.

21. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Andrey. - I tried that too but it refuses, does that mean I must
    wait for version 4.45 ? - Will try again anyway.

22. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I don't really understand what you mean "it refuses". Re-download the fresh version here, that's all.

23. risl

risl Registered Member

I've also tried almost everything there is and ended up with drw be cause it was the most trouble free for me. I was suprised that some small Russian company had a long developed solution that was stable, light, simple to use, but still had some advanced technology in it and very frequent definition updates.

I always felt with other solutions, that something is missing or isn't quite like I would want it. Didn't had that feeling when trying Dr.Web so I bought it for 2 years and it wasn't expensive at all. Probably going to buy for another 2 in 2009.

24. Murderlove

Yes I need to learn that as well. Though I have learned a lot since I've been reading the information here and have taken security more serious than before. After reading the information here I selected a few programs to test them out and have chosen a few to really use. Only needed an anti-virus and along cam Dr.Web. All in all I am truly beginning to like "the doctor" and I think it's a keeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.