Dr Web questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im thinking of trying dr web.Ive searched through various posts here and noticed references to a scheduler that sits in the system tray , but that can be unloaded.Does this mean that if the scheduler is unloaded,that auto updates wont happen?.Also i havent been able to find any mention of an auto scanning path for dr web for use in download managers.Is there a path that can be used?
    tia
    ellison

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You can unload the scheduler for Dr.Web and still get auto updates using Windows Task Scheduler.

See post #4
    link

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  3. ellison64

Mmm thanks for link namor.Unless im reading it wrong though, unless the dr web scheduler or windows task sheduler is in system tray it wont update?.If thats the case it just seems strange that most avs will update in background without the need for the extra icon taking up resources and tray space.As for the download path , it seems that dr web cant scan automatically( on completion of a downloaded file) through a download manager?,and needs to either manually scan the download folder or use a scheduled scan? some time later?
    tia
    ellison

4. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

Windows Task Scheduler always running by default. It dont use space in tray on Windows 2000/XP.
    I set task:
    "C:\Program Files\drweb\Drwebupw.exe" /ST
    for hourly run.
    SpiderGuard (file system monitor) checks all potentially danger files written on disk.

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I have some other difficulties with DrWeb concerning SpiderGuard icon not coming to the taskbar (on the right below) after the start up. I had SpyBot 1.4 RC Teatimer on and M$ AntiSpyware 1.0 Beta in real time protection mode too. When I closed the Teatimer, the problem vanished!!!?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. ellison64

Thank you andreyka.I guess if spiderguard checks all files written to disk ,then theres no need for a path for it in a download manager.I use 98 so task scheduler does show.Its just a pet hate with me when a programme need to use and extra icon for a scheduler in system tray rather than just updating in the background without it.
    thanks again
    ellison

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

On non-XP systems, there are a number of free software programs you can use to remove system-tray icons.

For example TraySaver and Tray Pilot Lite..

The other alternative of course is to simply manually update.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Whatever floats your boat, but It seems to me that an extra tray icon is pretty minor stuff, if you find an AV (or anythng else) that has nothing else wrong with it. I would be more concerned about unnecessary services running for unused features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.