dr.web questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sard, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sard

sard Registered Member

What is the Move option supposed to do when malware is detected? At the moment it seems to move the file unaltered to my C:\Program Files\DrWeb Shouldn't it move it to C:\Program Files\DrWeb\Infected.!!! Is there a way to change the path?

What does the Lock command do when malware is detected?

On access scan smart. What rules does it use for scanning?

Include these files in scan, what's the difference between By format, Selected file types, by file name mask.

Is there any English documentation anywhere?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Right-click SpIDerGuard icon in system tray. Click scanner. Click options. Click change settings. Click actions. Click move to. Click browse button on right side of block for entering move to destination. Navigate to whichever destination you want used for move to. Poof! It's done.

Wilders offers some good configuration guidelines HERE.

Attached Files:

• drw.gif
      drw.gif
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
  3. sard

sard Registered Member

That screenshot is from the On Demand scanner though. For the Spider Guard there doesn't seem to be a way to specify a path files will be moved to, or the extention they will be changed to, unless you select moving or renaming as the default option. If you do this you don't get a choice of options and aren't even given an alert.

http://www.wilders.org/51df7520.jpg
    From this screenshot taken from http://www.wilders.org/screenshots20.htm it appears that you can specify a path and have Spider Guard remember it as the path is still visible in grey.

http://uberish.fastmail.fm/spid.jpg
    This screenshot is from my current up to date version and Spider Guard seems to forget the path you've entered once you select report, which I want to select because I want to be given a choice of actions.

4. bellgamin

In *Smart* mode, DrWeb's "Spider Guard" doesn't check viral programs on access/launching. Instead, it only scans a file when it is "created." To put it another way, *Smart* mode checks when a file has first been WRITTEN to or changed. After this the file is NOT checked again by SpIDerGuard -- until, of course, you run an on-demand scan. So overall the smart mode scans on WRITE but not OPEN/RUN. That's why SpIDerGuard does not scan very often and so seems to be very fast.

The alternative to *Smart* scan is to set SpIDerGuard to scan on Run/Open & Create/Write. This is great IF you have a fast cpu. Otherwise, it might exact too much of a penalty in terms of your computer's responsiveness. Best way to find out is to give it a try.

If you use *Smart* mode (recommended) be sure to right-click-scan every new file coming into your system, and also back this up with regular on-demand scanning of your full system.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As the name implies, Locking "locks" all infected files, so that they can't be accessed anymore (until the system is rebooted.) However, a locked file will be UNlocked on your next reboot, so be sure to take action about a locked file before rebooting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    sard- Your screenshot indicates that there are slight differences between your DrWeb & mine -- even though I am running also the latest DRW version (4.32a). Perhaps this is because my OS is not the same as yours. In any event, I cannot say more than already I have done, so I suggest you message Tech Support.

For Tech Support here are some useful addresses (I inserted spaces to discourage harvesters)...
    Try this one first> mike.kolyadko @ drweb.com
    alternate is> support @ drweb.com

If you email for support, be aware that DrWeb is not always responsive.
    :'( If you submit a support request, PLEASE let us know how you make out.

regards..... bellgamin

5. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

I am seeing that are giving support at Dr. Web.

I have license to use dr. Web 4.32a and run good in one of my machines, but really I don't know if this AV will me configurable to update automatica by Hours ? same at Kaspersky, Escan, and other's ?

Thank you,

6. bellgamin

No, larouse, I'm just a user like you. I hardly know what I'm talking about, but I still try to help when I can.

Go to your DrWeb file folder & run the file drwebscd.exe. That will get you a little white clock in your system tray.

Double-click the little white clock. That will get you the DrWeb Scheduler, as shown. Then see my comments in the panel under this one.

Attached Files:

7. bellgamin

On the DrWeb Scheduler, Click Task. That will get you a drop-down menu.

On the drop-down menu, click Add Task. That will get you the Add Task configuration page, as shown.

I have never used Add Task myself, so you are now *on your own*. However, it looks like it is pretty easy to use. I notice that it has a click spot for "Hours" which is what you are looking for, I think.

As for myself, I prefer manual updates. :p

Attached Files:

8. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Dear Bellgamin...

Thank you very much and apprecaite you collaboration....This would be in MKS ? Or Not ? Update by time ( Hours ) ?

Thank you again

9. bellgamin

You are welcome. Glad to help. This is for DrWeb only, NOT MKS. MKS crashed my system & was a beast to uninstall.

10. shorty1

shorty1 Guest

For what it's worth: I much prefer to run the updater with windows task scheduler. In fact I never install the Dr Web scheduler as I have no need for it. I have task scheduler set to check for updates every three hours with run switches /ST /GO so the whole procedure is "silent." Also, if you check virtual memory you will see it use more memory then Spider Guard, or at least it did as I recall. :( Not to mention that I hate the extra icon in the tray. And to quote someone from the Dr Web forum: "The scheduler was built a 100 years ago because windows 95 had no task scheduler." :)

11. sard

sard Registered Member

Sounds like a good Idea. I hate having too many icons in the system tray too :)

I'm liking Dr.Web, despite it having no English documentation or proper quarantine facility. My system feels like there's no Antivirus running as there’s no slow down at all, and I keep checking the files scanned count to make sure it's actually working.

OK one more question, which program and what command line options should I use to integrate Dr.Web with 3rd party programs such as Winrar? Using the right click context menu scan isn't always an option as there are some archives (eg 7zip) that Dr.Web doesn't unpack.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  12. bellgamin

Sard's latest question is out of my league. I hope someone can answer it.

Little by little I am saving comments about DrWeb to put into a knowledge base. Tips such as the one by shorty1 are VERY helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.