Dr.Web Beta screenshots

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by risl, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. format_c

format_c Registered Member

is that just an personal attack, yep? who was telling use PM? :D

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Well I guess even the mods had to take a break for Xmus. This forum would spiral into chaos if they ever left for a week.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol no, im trying to understand what u wrote, it wasnt strung together in a way i culd understand lol... u think im trying to be smug but im being genuine here, i just culdnt understand what u wrote and was asking if u culd type it more clearly. that is all...

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Well that the strange thing about the Dr.Web GUI (well at least to me), it uses both tabs and separate windows. I wouldn't mind a centralized window like Symantec Corp 10.X.

5. Nomad Soul

Nomad Soul Registered Member

I talked about such complains. Example of a good GUI wan't taking by me, but I don't understand what don't satisfy in Dr.Web GUI that has familiar way of accessing to settings (every component has his own settings in it's 'module') through Spider Agent, with even less separated windows than "example" has? You just need window with tabs?

Generally the Control Center is in developement)

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I was thinking about something along the lines of this. BTW I'm not saying that Dr.Web should copy the F-Prot GUI, it's just an example. I guess the main difference is the uniformity in the F-Prot GUI.

fprot3.gif

and less this

DrWeb2.jpg

Speaking of tabs... Are these tabs even necessary? I mean there is a ton of wasted space here.

DrWeb77.jpg

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

SerM and Evgeny,

Is it possible to tone down this bright green? Green is a very soothing color but not this bright.

:D

8. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I Guess, Dr. Web took this Green color just because their Russian Competitor is going green. Green is far soother to eyes then any other color. Anyways, GUI doesn't matter. What matters is High Detection Capability with minimal amount of false positives.

9. risl

risl Registered Member

They've had the green theme for as long as i can remember. About the GUI stuff: perhaps they are more tech oriented and not artists. Maybe they don't even have dedicated graphics personnel at all.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

This is my guess as well. Not bad mouthing Dr.Web but, the GUI definitely looks like it was designed by the programming department, a lot of programs are like that though.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's obvious that use of the left panel area for major segment selection (i.e. view settings for Spider Guard, Spider Mail, Spider Gate, Firewall, Updater, Scanner, Self Protection) would allow much more rapid navigation of the program settings by users and this window real estate is available in all windows except for the Firewall settings window.

By the same token, the Firewall settings window is the only one not to employ a tabbed style window, so the change would tend to converge onto a single and much more efficient viewing paradigm (left panel = selection of active window segment, tabs = option space selection within the active window).

The firewall needs a bit of work as well....

An ethic in which speed of navigation and minimization of the total number of user based mouse clicks are highly valued results should be followed (IMHO).

Blue

12. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

seeing as people are still only talking about a GUI,

i would expect it to look similar to the new Spidergate/Parental Control/Spiderguard screens when it is released, and i expect the scanner GUI will be released next which will also look like these new screens.

13. risl

risl Registered Member

Similar to the CureNet scanner?

14. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Bingo. Who spends their time staring at the GUI of an AV?

To be honest, I think this GUI looks quite nice compared to the old one, which really was kind of Windows 95. Dr.Web has always had the green colour as far as I know. Getting rid of it would be similar to Symantec ditching their yellow and black scheme.

15. PC__Gamer

lol, as funny as it is, sadly, alot of people do do this, and some of this forum im sure!

some people just keep scanning their machine all day, because they have nothing better to do, whether it be with their own antivirus, or scanning with something else.

sad, i know.......

there is a limit between just plain weird/sad and being a security enthusiast o_O

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Dr.Web must think that people spend their time looking at the GUI. I mean they pasted that giant space wasting banner on the left side of the real-time config window.

Again, for me this isn't about a pretty GUI, it's about usability. What if they put some controls in place of that banner? Like a button to access the Dr.Web log for example. So I don't have to navigate to C:\Users\Michael\DoctorWeb and read raw text files. Let's even take it a step further and have a GUI that will parse the logs from me and make them easier to read.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  17. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I agree with you on usability. Some of the people moaning previously were distressed because they think it looks like Windows 9x.

I once had a two year license for Dr.Web which I didn't renew because it scanned excrutiatingly slow. Other than that I thought it was pretty good.

I have to admit that I don't play with this stuff much, I only install AV on-demand to scan files I download and run a scan over the C partition every couple of weeks, so I don't look at the GUI very often. Reading logs from AVs isn't something I do very regularly either ;)

18. BlueZannetti

My own take is from a couple of different perspectives....

Even though the GUI may have no impact on functionality, it provides the most intimate point of contact between a product and the user. When this is wanting, the product often doesn't receive an unbiased performance evaluation. In other words, it's a detail that a vendor neglects at their peril. In general, a designer needs to strive for it being intuitive (which generally means adhering to the standard of the environment), visually consistent (in this case, the firewall settings window is inconsistent with the others), and quickly navigated with a minimum of mouse clicks

Since it is generally not something most users employ on a regular basis, ease of navigation probably should trump glitz by a wide margin. Whether that happens is anyone's guess. Consistency is also important since this is oftentimes critical to facile understanding by the user.

Good products can fail due to a poor UI, mediocre products can succeed with a superior UI. That's pragmatic reality.

For the record, if I were making recommendations (IMHO...):
    • The statistics window should just be another tab connected to the module, not a separate window for the 3 modules that have statistics.
    • One selection should bring up a single window from which configuration and statistics are viewed. One should not need to constantly go back to the tray icon to launch yet another window
    • The main settings should be included with the SpiderGuard/SpiderMail/Spider Gate/Firewall/Updater section and not under the separate Tools menu item. Actually, one could make the case that all of the Tools entries should be consolidated under a common control window cluster along with the enable/disable toggles for the various modules and this should probably be the main entry point.
    • The Updater should actually launch on selection and not require a second mouse click to initiate. The would suggest that the logging option be positioned under the main settings window and be a system default.
    • Disable self protection is probably reasonably kept separate.
    Anyway, just a few random comments by a user....

Blue

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

yes! :D

20. Nomad Soul

Nomad Soul Registered Member

It is a question for Dr.Web stuff. You could disscus it on the Dr.Web forum or post it as "feature request" at Dr.Web bugtracker.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  21. PC__Gamer

personally, id like to see 'more' bright green.

its their signature, no point changing it

22. SergM

SergM Registered Member

23. PC__Gamer

you shouldn't give too much away :)

im sure everyone will be happy with the drweb centralized gui when it arrives, i think the question has been more of when instead of what it will be like.

and those russians love the word 'soon' too much. :D

24. BlueZannetti

That seems more in line with what I'd like to see (and mentioned above), although it's always hard to judge without seeing it live to develop a feel for the flow of the screens.

Blue

25. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.