Dr Web beta 5 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by disinter1, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

funny comment Mac, but this is exactly how it feels when trying to get info about upcoming releases/betas. :blink:

i blame Daniloff for this, he probably keeps everything to himself till he has to, and probably uses this for drweb and his staff.

2. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Very romantic theories being thrown about here for sure. But I believe the truth is much more mundane. My guess is the truth is closer to this ... A small company with limited resources struggling to keep pace with new threats, a Vista compatible version etc. Further, anticipated release dates that are announced are easily missed by months, and in some cases, years. This leads to people feeling like they've been lied to. So they go with the theory that you don't tell them anything because they honestly can't be sure when they can deliver the goods. Again, people get annoyed and frustrated. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Either way people aren't going to be happy.

3. risl

risl Registered Member

You just cant give detailed information about features, because problems might appear during coding and testing. Same applies with giving detailed release dates, you simply _DON'T_ know if any bugs will be found 5 minutes before this already given release date. Simple basics of coding & testing process. You don't want to make your customers disappointed with these "broken promises." I believe they are just being careful here and don't want to make people too hyped about it before it's even in public testing.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Is there actually an issue with the company going bust? If it is having so much trouble just keeping its head above water...

5. risl

risl Registered Member

How so? They have made new partners and have released new versions lately for different platforms. 4.44 enterprise version was introduced, Spider shield was updated to defeat some complicated rootkit/backdoor and also some bugfixes were made to spider guard. It's not that long ago when 4.44 was released with new features and optimizations and "My Dr.Web" support page. If I remember correctly, they even have new office.

I'd say the water is having trouble reaching the head. ;)

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i expect drweb is fine on resources :thumb:

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

They have expanded recently so I very much doubt that this is an issue.

But as I have stated many times before and shorty1 has also just remarked above, you cannot expect the same sort of progress with new features/upgrades as with the bigger vendors. The smaller fish such as DW, F-Prot and VBA32 will always appear to just be treading water in keeping up with adding signatures, never mind in releasing new program versions ( Frisk and VirusBlokAda have still not released Vista-compatible versions ).

DW have been busy of late; they have carried out a lot of work on their web-site over the last 18 months; improved on-line support; have a number of teams for both Windows and Unix systems and in-house testing the up and coming version 5.

However, if present users are not happy with their progress then simply switch AV. IMO, DW still offers very good protection, particularly when part of a layered defense.

8. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

I don't have a problem with the length of time drweb takes to up-date, or the release of a new version, It's there attitude to customers that pi** me off.All they have to say to anyone who e-mails them about up and coming versions is: We are working hard on these new versions for are customers, We don't want to release a version that will coarse are customers problems.We want people to enjoy are products and feel secure.If I would have received a similar e-mail I would still be with the dr, and not moved to Avira.
    Badcompany.

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

While I like Dr. Web right behind Avira, a company is playing with fire if they do not respect their customers and respond to inquires in a timely and professional manner. It appears the good Dr. may need some help in this area. It is bad business (obviously) to risk alienating your clientele. As to release of new versions, that is their right to do whatever they want. They need to realize that if they do not keep up with industry standards, they are at risk.

10. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

i just think that they are adding an extremely new thing and don't want other people to take it and use it. :D

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what drweb dont understand is, customers with 2/3 year licences or thinking of purchasing one of those... NEED to know what is coming and when, and where the company will be in that timeframe.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

C.S.J.,

I really don't believe that's possible.

Turn the view around and look at the past. Was information current 3 years ago necessarily indicative of the state of these products today - at least with respect to some of the details everyone in this thread is requesting? I'd have a hard time saying yes to that.

A lot of the new feature set specifics which have emerged in that timeframe weren't on the radar screen at the time. On the other hand, gross performance at the time has generally been a decently constant or predictive indicator. While some products have made strides in detection, the major players have really not seen precipitous drops in performance.

While it may be interesting as a matter of curiosity, nobody really should be purchasing an extended term license based on a conjectured multiyear roadmap that history suggests is very fluid. Purchases should be made on the basis of today's products. As for where specific vendors will be 2-3 years hence...., that's a crystal that we'd all like to have.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.