downside

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tactful, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tactful

tactful Registered Member

ESS has one as follows:kind of a major drawback to ESS 4.0.467.0 is if you use anything other than automatic update and many do when you update manually you are exposed as Eset does not yet turn on widows firewall while udates are in progress or let you do what you have to.let's say you do not want IE8 or SP2 vista.you are stuck getting them with auto update.ESS has to be the only suite out there left that literally makes you update even if one chooes not to even turn it on again many do that too.We do not see ESS in the picture next year and we know they do not do refunds.correct?some day maybe they will catch up and on as everyone else seems to have done. correct me if I'm wrong about this 41 updates later ESET made me do . had to stay up until the wee hours.dawn to be exact.Very uncool. :thumbd:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What does ESS have to do with IE8, SP2 Vista or other updates? If you mean the notification feature about missing updates, the information is taken from the operating system itself and it can be completely disabled if one doesn't want to be notified.

3. tactful

Yes pehaps but then go unprotected(while updating) even more so.programs noted were just examples.know some that run online businesses that this will not sit well with them that have 4.0 and dislike machines controlling them as much as I or anyone does.

4. Marcos

Please specify what exact problem you're having so that we can suggest possible solutions or provide workarounds / fixes.

5. tactful

Well for starters when it is not Blue (normal) you are prompted to install updates even if you do not want those particular updates.security,win defender update,,cumulative pkg's or patches fine but like with the examples mentioned before some programs/updates are not wanted or really needed so you Have to go to Windows updates and de select what the progam suggests.this in itself can take hours sometimes.case in point when those 41 mentioned were put in minus what the program wanted to do the process started around 9 pm and was still gong on at 2am when had to get up to check it.windup was staying with it till dawn.was worthless to do anything the day because of it.I/we can only imagine what those with the program went through or thought but think it is safe to say they could be thinking No Eset next year.have to wonder why it does not protect(turn on windows firewall) while updates do take place.ESET has to be the only one that does leave a machine wide open to threats during that time lapse.no one else I can think of does.They all play nice with Win firewall except ESET which would and rightly so explain their(buinesses) thinking NOT next year.And I talked them into getting the darn program.So much for being trusted now me thinks.have not talked to them yet but would not blame them if the felt that way.this enough Marcos? back to the saltmine while others go to lunch I make up for time lost that night/day

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

7. tactful

Thank You Aryeh.we shall see,it has been set to No updates.should this work I can pass this info along and stay out of the dog house.

8. tactful

Not according to what the machine tells me it doesn't during manual updates

9. Marcos

Do you mean that ESS notifies you about missing Windows updates even after disabling the notification feature and restarting the computer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.