DOWNLOADING ON TO CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Badcompany, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    Is there a progam a can use to download all the information I have on my pc, files, Photo's, E-mail Address, etc, and burn it all on to cd's.
    Regards,
    badcompany.:)

2. Absent Buck

Absent Buck Guest

You could have a look in the Acronis Forums for BU software......but on XP you can just right click, send to, CD drive, and burn...

3. Badcompany

Hi Absent Buck,
    thanks for your reply, I'll give it ago.
    Badcompany:)

4. flocker

flocker Guest

I'm not sure if there are any programs that would allow you to record a file direct to cd while in the process of downloading that same file. But there are a few free programs that you can use to copy programs and files to cd after they're already downloaded to your computer. A couple good ones are DeepBurner http://www.deepburner.com/ and CdBurnerXP Pro http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ They are much better than anything M$ has to offer. Hth.

5. Global Force

Global Force Guest

BadCo,

I'm with that Buck fella :D for first exploring system capabilities to determine what they have to offer before advancing to any third-party app's. Pretty much like he said on XP, plus a few detail's to consider on the page below. Don't worry yourself about the UDF system for now, try the BASIC'S.

ht*tp://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

To give you an idea on burn times, my XP .... 256mb's RAM/2.6 Pentium IV cover's a 500mb file in somewhere around ten minutes. I just pick out the data, image, or music files I want .... send them to a *pre-staging* folder (I create to gage CD-R limit) .... rt clk, send to ....then open My Computer .... rt clk the burner drive and select "Write these files to CD."

Be wary though, do your homework when it comes to third-party burners. Many are reasonably sloppy or bloated in the coding department .... adding numerous system files with the potential for BIG headaches (although situating the correct driver usually resolves most issues).

Another thread that may be of interest, and the reason I think for your question to begin with can be found here.

Comment's should follow. Listen ~ exercise discretion ~ choose wisely! ;)

GF

6. Badcompany

Hi GF,
    Thanks for your reply, A lot of what you have written is way above my Pc knowledge, but a do understand alittle, thanks it has helped.
    Regards,
    Badcompany.:)

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is that packet writing (like DirectCD or InCd) or is it really burning on CD ?

8. Badcompany

Hello Erikalbert,
    Thank you for your reply,What i wanted to do was, because this is my first Pc ( only 6 months ) and crash my Pc twice and lost all my e-mail address and photo's etc, I wanted to burn everything onto cd's so i don't have to start from the beginning again. Is this possible.
    Regards,

9. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bad,

Do you have a 'Burner' on your PC ?
    Use Read/Write CD discs if possible.

All you do is 'open' the burner program, such as 'Nero' or whatever,place a disc in the CD ROM Drive, and hit Data Disc - Then Drag'n Drop each Folder across, you will see the indicator of how much of the CD's available space you have left as you D'n D each folder. When it gets close to the max. 700 MB's - just hit BURN.

Regards.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Badcompany,
    As you can see, I wasn't trying to help you, I was asking a question myself.
    I can't give you good advice, because I don't have much experience with real backup methods.
    You better listen to the advices of other members with more experience. Sorry. :)

11. Badcompany

Hello Micro,
    Thank you for your reply and the info, I now understand how to burn files & folders , how do i burn all my e-mail address on to cd. I don't know were to find them, under what heading do they come under. Sorry for my limited knowledge on computers.
    Regards,

12. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hey BC,

Found some Writing Wizard screenies for you below.

ht*tp://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/backup/xpcdwiz.htm

ht*tp://www.rock.uwc.edu/helpdesk/xpburn.asp

Lose the asterisk after pasting. ;)

Here's how to retrieve e-mail setting's ....

ht*tp://www.southwestern.edu/ITS/resnet/cd_2005/windows/
    Documentation/backup_windows.html

GF

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
  13. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bad,

On your Hard Drive, say on C:\ drive, mouse over top LH corner FILE then
    over NEW then click on FOLDER -When you see the new folder - insert the name Emails, then click anywhere on the white of the page to finish, and you should be looking at your new folder for Emails.

Go START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-ADDRESS BOOK
    Because I do not use the address book myself we need one of the lads here to advise how to copy,or copy and paste your Email addresses into that folder you made on C:\ .

Then you Burn that Email folder onto the CD as previously mentioned
    for any folder you are intending to burn.

Regards.

14. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Most email progs allow you to export your contacts/address book....for example;

Outlook Express- File, export, address book.

Outlook- File, Import and Export, Export to a file, choose a file type (I use .pst), Choose which folders to export.

Thunderbird- Tools, Address book, then in the address book window, Tools, Export.

Once you've exported the contacts to a created file, simply burn it to CD as you would any other file/folder.

HTH,
    Buck

15. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

the question is, do you have a cd-writer?

16. Badcompany

Hi sick0,
    Thanks for the reply, i have a cd/dvd burner which came installed with the Pc.
    Regards,

17. 747

747 Guest

Usually your cd/dvd burner comes with it's own software that can be used to burn cd/dvds then. Why not just use that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.